Peter Gammons To Leave ESPN (UPDATED)

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Wow. This comes as a complete shock, but hot off the presses comes word that Peter Gammons is done at ESPN and plans to persue "other endeavors". (UPDATE: Apparently those endeavors are with the MLB Network.) Here are Gammons' comments via ESPN PR....

“My decision to leave ESPN and move on at this point in my life has been conflicted. I owe a great deal of my professional life to ESPN, having spent more than half of my 40 years in journalism working for the network, and the choice to move on was made with nothing but the strongest feelings for the people with whom I worked. ESPN gave me a great deal more than I gave it, and will always be a huge part of who I am.

“I will forever be joined at the hip with John Walsh, who hired me as an ink-stained wretch, plunked me on TV and has always been a guiding spirit. Understand how the people who run ESPN treat people: when I was felled by a severe aneurysm in 2006, George Bodenheimer, John Skipper, Norby Williamson, my former Boston Globe boss Vince Doria and everyone made certain that my family and I had the best care and support, far, far beyond any reasonable expectation. My ESPN life has been lined with foxhole people whom I’ll never forget.

“I’ve been able to work with my closest and oldest friends, like Jayson Stark, Tim Kurkjian, Buster Olney, Peter Pascarelli, Jerry Crasnick and Charlie Moynihan. I spent three seasons doing games with a producer, Tom Archer, who is among the most revered leaders I’ve ever met. I told everyone last October that the team baseball coordinating producer Jay Levy put together with Mark Preisler and Marc Carman was the most creative in my 20 years on the show. I apologize to hundreds of people I owe for all these years for not mentioning their names.

“You would have had to be there for 20 years to know how hard so many good people sweated in anonymity to make all of us look as if we knew what we were doing.

“My friend Tom Rush – who taught James Taylor and me our first guitar chords – once wrote how strange it seems to walk away alone. With no regrets.”
What a sad, sad day for ESPN and Baseball. Obviously I wish Gammons all the success in the future, but Baseball Tonight and Baseball as a whole won't be the same without him. In his honor, I urge you to watch the greatest Peter Gamomons video ever made....

Posted by Awful Announcing at 3:49 PM

2 Comments:

Peter...PEEEE-TERRRRRR!!!

GMoney said...
Dec 8, 2009, 4:04:00 PM  

yahoo reporting he is heading to MLB Network.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-espn-gammons&prov=ap&type=lgns

Salva73 said...
Dec 8, 2009, 7:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment