Jaws And Gruden Are Already Disagreeing

Friday, August 14, 2009

One of the more fun things about the MNF booth over the past few years, was the love/hate relationship between Ron Jaworski and Tony Kornheiser. Whether you thought Tony was good or not was irrelevant, because he knew how to get under Jaws' skin, and every time he did so, it was pretty funny. Well now Jon Gruden is in the booth, and after a pretty good debut last night, the Coach didn't hold anything back after Jaws said he didn't like the Vick signing by the Eagles. Here's the clip....



I obviously agree with Gruden, and while I was skeptical of his hiring at first, it seems like this trio really could work out. The producers of MNF always wanted three different perspectives in the booth, with Tirico providing the images, Jaws providing the stats and analysis and Kornheiser providing the angles. And while those three perspectives didn't gel, replacing the writer's slant with a coach's slant, looks like a winner. Especially when you have a story like the Vick signing that will bring up many different emotions and opinions.

Jaws Jumps The Shark on the Vick Idea, ESPN Video (NESW Sports)

4 Comments:

Gruden is a natural on television. I just caught bits and pieces of the 4th Quarter, but I think this is a winning combination in the booth.

Brad James said...
Aug 14, 2009, 1:15:00 PM  

I thoguht in this video clip, Jon Cruden took the possetion that Tony Kornheiser might have on this issue with Jaws. I saw parts of Gruden's debut last night, and I thoguht he was really good. He didn't hold back on his opinions, which is good to listen to from a former coach that jsut got fired. I could be wrong here, but I don't think he sucked up to coaches or palyers last ngiht.

Unknown said...
Aug 14, 2009, 1:52:00 PM  

It didn't make for particularly good discourse when the two former NFLers talked all over each other. It's one of the problems with three in the booth.

Steve Smith said...
Aug 14, 2009, 1:59:00 PM  

From what little I saw of last night's game, I thought Gruden was fine in the booth. If only I were listening for his line of how Mike Vick would sell more #7 jersies than Jaws did his entire career...

Justin F. said...
Aug 14, 2009, 3:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment