Stephen A. Awkwardly Makes His Rounds On His Last Day

Thursday, April 30, 2009


It's a somber, yet hopeful day, at the "Leader". Stephen A. Smith is gracing ESPN's airwaves for the last time today, and has been oddly appearing across all of the network's platforms. He first appeared on First Take to talk about the NBA Playoffs, then went over to Shrutebag's radio show, and left without a goodbye on both shows. Here's some video and audio of the gloomy appearances....



Good lord that's depressing. One of the last moments on a network, and they're talking about meatball marinara subs from Subway! I mean, we're talking about a guy who once had a TV show, a radio show, a newspaper column and had a huge NBA analyst role on ESPN. Now he's out there looking for work. Even if you don't like the guy's schtick, you still have to feel just a little bit bad for him.

9 Comments:

No, I don't.

GMoney said...
Apr 30, 2009, 4:13:00 PM  

I may be in a serious minority here, but I actually didn't mind him. Sure he was over the top, but I don't think he tried to fall back on race bating like Scoop and Jemele do in every other article.

I miss having actual journalists on TV talking about sports. What the fuck does Jalen Rose know about Alex Rodriguez? Or Chris Carpenter? Just because you played the sport doesn't mean you're qualified to be a sports journalist.

BackBergtt said...
Apr 30, 2009, 4:41:00 PM  

AA, I don't believe I have to feel bad for him. I don't care if it was producers/editors/corporate execs/whatever telling him to play up the schtick. He was loud, obnoxious, made me change the channel more often than not, and was BAD AT HIS JOB.

Jebus, AA, do you feel bad for the bank execs who lost their jobs too, even though it's their own damn fault?

Rob in WI said...
Apr 30, 2009, 5:27:00 PM  

+1 to the comments of GMoney and Rob in WI.

Anonymous said...
Apr 30, 2009, 9:50:00 PM  

I don't feel bad for him at all. Stephen A. brought this on himself.

Fitty67 said...
May 1, 2009, 7:50:00 AM  

I'm shocked he got the "farewell tour."

Most people that leave the Four Letter are taken off the air weeks before their last day to prevent that kind of thing from happening.

DP may be the only recent person I can remember getting it on TV.

mark coale said...
May 1, 2009, 8:58:00 AM  

Greg Anthony was a smart guy in the regard that he never cared for Stephen A. I feel bad that mush-mouthed journalists who suck have jobs on air. HOWEVEHHHHH, I think that we've not heard the last of him.

Brad James said...
May 1, 2009, 1:26:00 PM  

Good riddance. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. Quite frankly the worst host of a sports talk show in two formats when they really trying to pimp him as the next big thing.

Anonymous said...
May 1, 2009, 7:00:00 PM  

No i don't feel even a little bad for him, in fact it is a glorious day that I don't have to look at thim anymore.

Unknown said...
May 11, 2009, 1:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment