Jim Calhoun Refutes "Blog" Story

Thursday, March 26, 2009


I honestly have no idea, and I'm being general here, but why can't people over the age of forty distinguish between a blog and an online sports outfit. Not that it really matters if the facts are all there, but it really isn't that hard. That's the exact angle, UConn's Jim Calhoun, took today when questioned about Yahoo Sports' report of possible NCAA violations. Via The Sporting Blog....

It was a newspaper story that ... it wasn’t a newspaper, I’m sorry. It was a blog story that appeared, I guess, in something I probably can’t get a hold of, which is Yahoo! And very simply my comments are what I said.
To be honest, I'd have probably tried the same angle if I was Calhoun, but Yahoo would like to clarify the situation via their actual College Basketball blog, The Dagger....
Only problem is that dismissing this -- which was written and edited by award-winning professional journalists who no doubt worked light years harder on it than I am currently working on this blog post -- in such a manner does a huge disservice to thos reporters. They sonned you on this one. You don't have to read the story in newsprint to know that. What was it you said to that kid who asked you about your salary? "Get some facts, and then come back and see me?" Wojnarowski and Wetzel got the facts on this one, Jim.

Naturally, this sort of dismissal and poor-mouthing is to be expected, as Calhoun has an obvious interest in discrediting the story as much as possible. Unfortunately for him, "THE INTERNET" isn't so easy to dismiss anymore.
Is the Internet really that tough to figure out? I guess there's just a generation gap that we all have to deal with. However, I hope the rest of the non-internet crowd can see when someone is trying to pull the wool over a medium's eyes.

Jim Calhoun's probe response is entirely incorrect (The Dagger)
Calhoun Reacts to Y!'s Silly (Damning) Blog Post (The Sporting Blog)

5 Comments:

Perhaps the most successful path to acceptance isn't to get pissy when someone of authority 'dismisses' internet journalism. Act like you belong, Yahoo Sports, and quit bitching. Let the good work continue to accumulate and there won't be a need for whiny columns.

Not a dime back.

Unknown said...
Mar 26, 2009, 3:08:00 PM  

I don't think Calhoun meant anything by it. If you listen to the comment, he said newspaper, no not a newspaper, and was trying to find the word to describe Yahoo! sports and settled on blog.

I'm not sure why that sent the Yahoo! blog in hysterics. I mean, if the story was posted on a web site or a blog...I mean, what's the difference?

Sean OLeary said...
Mar 26, 2009, 3:42:00 PM  

It's going to be fun watching a prick like Calhoun go down in flames on this one. It's like Kelvin Sampson except with 10,000 times more smarminess!!!

GMoney said...
Mar 26, 2009, 4:08:00 PM  

Anything with articles is a blog. The Seattle P-I is probably a blog now.

Morgan Wick said...
Mar 26, 2009, 8:42:00 PM  

Is someone going to explain what "sonned" means to Calhoun?

mark coale said...
Mar 27, 2009, 12:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment