From The "What Else Is New?" Department: Don Cherry Is Controversial

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I didn't comment much about Don Cherry's recent undressing of Alex Ovechkin's goal celebrations, mainly because I'm a Caps fan and I'm biased in that regard, but more so because it's really nothing new. Today, Cherry talked with the Toronto Sun, and decided to express almost the exact same sentiment....

"I'm saying the same things I was before," Cherry said in a lengthy interview. "But the criticism is worse now. It has really picked up. I don't know why.

I admit I've been taken aback by all of it, the calls for me to get fired. Last week was the topper. I got ripped everywhere. I got ripped in four Toronto papers. The owner of the Washington Capitals wrote about me online. A couple of my friends in Florida saw it in the papers there. I'm front and centre. I guess I'm an easy target.

I'm having a good time. I can hardly wait for Saturdays. I really get a kick out of it. The critics? They never say one good thing I do. I've come to the point in my life where it doesn't bother me. I say to hell with them."
That's definitely the attitude to have. A lot of people compare Cherry to the likes of Bob Knight and Billy Packer, but I've always felt that Cherry loves his support to no end. I can't say the same for Knight and Packer. Don Cherry is an equal opportunity commentator, and is the same person that has gotten on both Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby.

Hopefully he doesn't try to tone things down, because definitely don't think he would be the same person that's become a beloved figure within the sport of Hockey.

Grapes ripe for pickin' (Toronto Sun)

Posted by Awful Announcing at 2:51 PM

6 Comments:

How does Bob Knight fit into this?

Don Cherry and Billy Packer could not be any more different. Billy Packer was a grouch who constantly found things to complain about. Don Cherry, if you want to compare him to somebody, is sort of like Dick Vitale for hockey. I mean...I don't think you can compare Cherry to anybody, which makes him awesome.

Sean OLeary said...
Mar 11, 2009, 4:00:00 PM  

Ed, it's more of a "tells it like it is" comparison. I like it. Fuck the critics. They are probably the same bitches that want to end fights in the NHL.

GMoney said...
Mar 11, 2009, 4:13:00 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bazooka Jones said...
Mar 11, 2009, 7:05:00 PM  

I've always respected and liked Cherry, but as a Caps fan I lost all respect for him over the Ovechkin comments. Usually even his controversial resound with me somewhat, but I just can't wrap my head around the Ovi comments.

He talked about how his celebrations have no place in hockey, but it's funny, because when I watched the all-star festivities, I saw an arena of Montreal fans (who are fans of an original six team) give him a standing ovation.

Bazooka Jones said...
Mar 11, 2009, 7:07:00 PM  

Of course Cherry doesnt mention the fact that Ovechkin did no celebrating when he scored a goal late in a game the Caps were losing 6-1. Typical from someone who pumps up Saint Cindy of the Confluence.

The only decent thing Cherry does in his commentary is when a member of the Canadian Military dies, Cherry mentions that person's name and shows a picture of them.

Thanks for staying on the bandwagon AA, after the Caps recent skid.

Anonymous said...
Mar 11, 2009, 8:53:00 PM  

I don't really care for the NHL, but the Stanley Cup Finals become msut see television once I know Don Cherry is on. I primarily listen to online sports talk from Canada, whether it be Calgary, Ottawa, Vancouver, Toronto or wherever because I know I'll hear Cherry's grapevine at some point during the day.

Brad James said...
Mar 12, 2009, 1:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment