ESPN Adds Dave Winfield As An Analyst

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Another hour goes by, another network adds an analyst. ESPN has just announced that the long rumored hiring of Dave Winfield has actually been finalized. Via ESPN PR....

Baseball Hall of Famer Dave Winfield has joined ESPN as a Baseball Tonight analyst and will mainly work Sundays and select Mondays with host Karl Ravech and analysts Peter Gammons and John Kruk throughout the Major League Baseball season. He will appear on Baseball Tonight Sunday, April 5, at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2, leading into Opening Night – Atlanta vs. Philadelphia – at 8 p.m.

“We’re thrilled to add Dave Winfield to our Baseball Tonight team,” said Norby Williamson, executive vice president, production. “He will be able to draw from his experiences as a Hall of Fame talent and world champion who has been a pioneer for the game in various capacities, both on and off the field. We welcome his unique voice and believe he will be a great addition to ESPN.”

“I've worked in and around baseball my entire life. This is an opportunity to stay connected with the entire sport, not just one team or league,” said Winfield. “To join ESPN is a chance to join another winning sports team. The platform, Baseball Tonight, is No. 1 and one I've enjoyed for years. I look forward to working with Karl Ravech, John Kruk, Peter Gammons and the rest of the crew and bringing my own views on the game. Just like when I was playing, I can't wait for Opening Day!”
I've seen Dave Winfield on various programs since his retirement, and I have to say that I rather enjoy him. Occasionally the Baseball Tonight crew can get a bit stuffy, and the addition of someone with Winfield's energy could only help the crew. However, this does put the number of ESPN Baseball analysts at a ridiculous total. Can anyone tell me if Fernando Vina is still employed by the network? I haven't seen him in months!

Posted by Awful Announcing at 4:43 PM

9 Comments:

He has to be better than Orestes Destrade, Eduardo Perez, and Steve Phillips.

GMoney said...
Mar 31, 2009, 5:42:00 PM  

Bring back Bud Blattner.

Steve Smith said...
Mar 31, 2009, 6:16:00 PM  

Why are you asking us about Fernando Vina's job status? WE come to YOU for that information!

questionmark said...
Mar 31, 2009, 6:31:00 PM  

That's Winfield, on the left, correct?

hoophead said...
Mar 31, 2009, 6:38:00 PM  

You know... I wodner if they could have gotten Chewbacca in a package deal... THAT'd make me tune on for Sunday Night Baseball Tonight!

Rob in WI said...
Mar 31, 2009, 9:50:00 PM  

Did he get fired by the Padres or something? I thought he was part of that organization.

Taylor said...
Mar 31, 2009, 10:07:00 PM  

Hi he is your friend i think or part of that organization

I think you can just go through my site You can useful it try once
sports betting.com

Unknown said...
Apr 1, 2009, 5:44:00 AM  

Winfield is the man, he'll be an excellent addition.

Brad James said...
Apr 1, 2009, 1:22:00 PM  

dave winfield is pretty friggin awful. painful to watch him struggle in front of the camera.

ER said...
Apr 6, 2009, 12:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment