Broadcaster Comes Up With New Money Making Angle

Thursday, March 05, 2009

These economic times are tough on everyone, and while some people are hoping for a bailout, others are coming up with new ideas on how to make money. One of those people is the "Voice of the Red Sox", Carl Beane. Carl will not only make money as the public address announcer for Boston this year, but he will also be pulling in funds as a eugoogalizer eulogist. Via Red Sox Monster....

Red Sox Monster: Does anything come to mind as one of the more strange events that you've been asked to do? Some sort of event you wouldn't typically expect to be asked to do, or something like that?

Carl Beane: Well, I guess maybe the one that was a little bit different is that for people who are Red Sox fans and I've gotten to know them some, their family at times has asked me to do a eulogy because they were such a Red Sox fan, [and they've asked] "Would you do that?" And I have.

Red Sox Monster: I imagine that takes some homework in terms of learning about the person and talking about what the family asks you to cover and that sort of thing?

Carl Beane: Yep. I talk to them, find out what they want me to do, how they want me to approach it. The wedding thing is a little different and lots of fun. First of all, they have to be big-time Red Sox fans in the wedding party. Many weddings do have a Red Sox theme to them. ... Someone from the family contacts me to do this, we get all the particulars straightened out, and then what I do is I usually stay hidden because I'm usually a surprise to somebody, and then I'll come out and I'll introduce in the wedding party like a batting order.
It sounds cheesy on the surface, but that's actually a great idea. I would love it if following my service, my friends and family played a clip of late O's PA man Chuck Thompson, saying "Ain't the beer cold, baby!?", and then everyone goes to a bar and gets hammered. Great idea, Carl....more power to you.

Broadcasting, wedding appearances and Red Sox ghosts (RSM)

Posted by Awful Announcing at 11:32 AM

3 Comments:

And when the bouquet and garter are caught he can say, "GIVE THAT FAN A CONTRACT!"

That would be amazing.

Bazooka Jones said...
Mar 5, 2009, 12:38:00 PM  

Rex Barney was the legendary Orioles public address announcer, right?

Rob Adams said...
Mar 5, 2009, 12:57:00 PM  

I would prefer to have Paul Bearer do my celebrity eulogy.

GMoney said...
Mar 5, 2009, 1:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment