Reggie Miller Thinks Knicks Fans Have Jumped The Shark

Wednesday, February 04, 2009


Reggie Miller talked with CBS Sports recently, about Kobe Bryant being cheered in Madison Square Garden during his 61 point performance, and the former "Knick Killer" was less than impressed with Knick fans.

So, yes, Miller was watching Kobe Bryant's 61-point game against the Knicks Monday night. And yes, he was impressed. But he was also appalled that Knicks fans who used to torment him were chanting "MVP!" for Kobe. So appalled that he was texting his old nemesis throughout the game.

"I was texting Spike as the game was going on, saying how disappointed I was in the fans chanting "MVP!" for Kobe," Miller said Tuesday, speaking on a TNT pre-All-Star conference call. "I was like, 'How the mighty have fallen.'" Because I remember in times past, I never got cheered. I'm sure Jordan never got cheered. And now they are chanting "MVP!" for Kobe? And all (Lee) kept doing was texting back and going, 'Look, times have changed. The climate has changed.'

"I wish I would've gotten the red carpet treatment when I went to the Garden," Miller said. "That would've been nice."
There is no doubt that I feel bad for Knicks fans, but cheering for the enemy like that at home, is something that has always bothered me. Given that I'm a fan of all things DC Sports, I know this problem well. The only problem is that the cure for said problem is winning and just like most DC Sports teams not named the Capitals, that's not going to change any time soon. Unfortunately the same is true for one of the NBA's most storied franchises in the Knicks.

Reggie Miller: Shame on Knicks fans (CBS Sports)
Back in My Day, Knick Fans Didn’t Cheer for the Enemy (SLAM)

(P.S.- Yes, I know the phrase "jump the shark" has "jumped the shark". You will not be the first clever commenter to ever leave that on the site, so please give it a rest.)

5 Comments:

"I remember this one time I was there, I was going at it with Spike Lee, and this nut throws a hot dog at me! And then the next thing I know, me, Spike and that other guy all got kicked out! We got blown out that game."

Reference

Anonymous said...
Feb 4, 2009, 12:27:00 PM  

That's not even close to being the quote, walrus.

Knicks fans are a joke. They like to call themselves the most knowledgeable fans in the sport but this is crushes that argument. Real fans don't cheer for the other team...EVER.

GMoney said...
Feb 4, 2009, 1:33:00 PM  

It's not the first time this has happened. In November, LeBron got a standing ovation. Knickerbocker fans, he doesn't play for you yet, tards.

Brad James said...
Feb 4, 2009, 1:44:00 PM  

Real fans don't cheer for the other team...EVER.

Amen, G$.
When LeBron scores 42 in three quarters tonight, they'll give him a standing O again. It's absolutely terrible.

Feb 4, 2009, 1:57:00 PM  

"Nuke The Fridge" is the new "Jump The Shark" in honor of the last Indiana Jones movie

Lane said...
Feb 4, 2009, 1:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment