Saturday, February 21, 2009
You knew the day was coming, but how could you prepare for it? Over the past few years, Emmitt Smith has stuttered, stumbled and made up words, for various programs on ESPN, but next season....that will be no more. ESPN hasn't made an official statement yet, but Pro Football Talk has gotten word from the inside, that Smith has been officially "blowed out" by the "Leader"....
After a two-season run featuring multiple new on-air additions to the English language, the greatest running back in NFL history ultimately has fared no better than Joe Montana as a broadcaster.Such a sad, sad day. I know that there are times when I wish people weren't on air, but there are some people that you pray stay on just for comedy's sake. Emmitt was one of those people, and I don't know what I'm going to do during Monday Night Football without him. As a tribute to Emmitt, I give you a countdown of my favorite Emmittisms, and the quintessential compilation video of his work. Godspeed my friend, and I hope you find the rites of patches you deserve!
Yes, ESPN has advised us that Emmitt’s relationship with the network has ended.
There will be no formal announcement — and presumably no going away party. Or vodka-fueled roast.
“We thank Emmitt for his contributions to ESPN and work ethic the past two years,” ESPN spokesman Bill Hofheimer told us via e-mail. “We wish him all the best.”
AA's Top Ten Emmittisms:
"Not only does he have the NFC East record for touchdowns, but also the team record."
"Wes Worker is a possession receiver that make things happen."
"The NFC West is probably one of the weakest conferences in the whole NFC."
"The leadership definitely have to come from the leaders."
"I think it's his self-confidence in himself that make him so confident when it get down into the crunch time."
10. "Last year there was a lot of things the Colts had to address. They couldn't stop the run, and all those. That was one of the biggest things they had to address."
9. "You have to have the personality to match up with the Patriots."
8. "He's giving them all the confidences they need. He giving them the confidence that he need."
7. "They do a very good job of flying around the Football field and carousing the Football carrier."
6. "Don't worry about the game you just won or the team that we just blew out. Uhhh... blown. Blown out. Let's think about what we need to do going forward, and they had blown out."
5. "Eli Manning has been given the rites of patches."
4. "This kind of inconsistency, against a team like New England, will get you completely blowed out."
3. "You cannot change the stripes of a leopard."
2. "Go to Arizona, sharp as a whistle, and do some finishing touches, so we can go down in the Super Bowl and play our best football of the whole entire season."
1. "The strength of the Patriots, their offense, got debacled."
Emmitt Exits ESPN (PFT)
The Emmitt Smith Anthology (Walter Football)