Even The Star Of Frank TV Thinks The Frank TV Ads Are Annoying

Tuesday, October 07, 2008


I'm really enjoying the mainstream media pieces about how the can't stand the Frank TV spots on TBS during the Playoffs this year. It's almost like they didn't watch last season, or got the press release that said they were going to be doing the same thing again this October. I've personally learned to change the channel (surprising I know), but if you've tried to endure, just know that Frank Caliendo feels your pain. From the Boston Herald via TSB....

“I say to those people, ‘I’m sorry, but watch the show and maybe TBS wouldn’t have to promote it as much,’ ” said the impressionist, whose sketch-comedy show’s second season - with an expanded cast - premieres Oct. 21.

“I think I’m on TBS as much as ‘Law & Order’ is on TNT,” Caliendo told the Track yesterday morning as he chowed on scrambled eggs, bacon, wheat and white toast and Diet Coke at a Back Bay hotel.

And, baseball fans, all the Frank fun continues during the World Series on FOX, when he joins five other celebs - along with the animated Stewie from “Family Guy” - as part of the MLB’s “There’s Only One October” campaign.

Where have you gone, Dane Cook? “I think I have to go into hiding soon,” laughed Caliendo, who appears on the TV spots as a blogging President Bush and NFL loud mouth John Madden.
At this point, their marketing strategy just has to make you laugh. If Caliendo is admitting that no one is watching, doesn't that tell them that they are just annoying the crap out of people? Guess not. I have nothing against Caliendo personally, but his fifteen minutes are up. Hopefully TBS realizes that soon so we don't have to be berated with Jim Rome impressions for another Baseball season.

At Least Caliendo Knows He's Insufferable (The Sporting Blog)
Frank Caliendo makes pitch to fans (Boston Herald)

12 Comments:

USA is doing the same thing with "The Starter Wife". Not that I was thinking of watching either show, but this Chinese water torture-type of promotion makes it a sure bet that I won't.

Anonymous said...
Oct 7, 2008, 1:49:00 PM  

I don't even think Caliendo is that good. His impressions are no where near as funny as he thinks they are.

Justin F. said...
Oct 7, 2008, 1:52:00 PM  

Without getting into a dispute over tastes, I tuned in expecting to see the worst, based on last year's campaign, and actually was kind of suprised. He is a pretty strong impressionist and, as himself, is likeable and self-effacing enough. For some reason the campaign isn't as annoying to me this year, but it's early yet. Now Dane Cook, that motherfucker is annoying after one minute, any time. And now I just remembered Actober, and we never successfully answered what the fuck that was, and now my brain hurts.

Anonymous said...
Oct 7, 2008, 2:00:00 PM  

Yeah, Caliendo, the Diet coke cancels out the scrambled eggs, bacon and tow kinds of toast.

Ya fat hack.

Anonymous said...
Oct 7, 2008, 2:00:00 PM  

That's right, "tow kinds of toast".

Anonymous said...
Oct 7, 2008, 2:01:00 PM  

I'm glad there's only one October.

Anonymous said...
Oct 7, 2008, 2:43:00 PM  

That's right, "tow kinds of toast".

Where are you getting these units of measurement? Is that anything like a pallet of chocolate covered pretzels and a drum of grape jam?

/Family Guy'd

Oct 7, 2008, 2:45:00 PM  

None of it is as grating as Dane Cook's faux badass enthusiasm.

Heef said...
Oct 7, 2008, 2:56:00 PM  

Whoa whoa whoa...if there is ONE thing that Frank does right it's his Rome impression. That is hilarious maybe because, I don't know, YOU DON'T HEAR IT EVERY TIME YOU TURN ON THE TV.

GMoney said...
Oct 7, 2008, 4:07:00 PM  

I actually sorta liked Frank TV. It was one of those things where you're like, "Okay, he's pretty good on FOX's pregame show, so I'll even try to like it." I'll watch this season in hope that he got some better writers or something because the show has potential.

Speaking of Family Guy, that is a show in desperate need of some fresh writing if the first two episodes of this season were any indication. My God.

Anonymous said...
Oct 7, 2008, 5:32:00 PM  

The only impression I want to see on Frank TV is "Frank after I hit him in the face with a shovel."

/scene.

Anonymous said...
Oct 7, 2008, 8:45:00 PM  

Then again, if no one watches the show TBS won't have to advertise it at all.

(Because it won't exist.)

Anonymous said...
Oct 7, 2008, 9:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment