Eck Does Not Appreciate When You Call His Hairstyle A Mullet

Thursday, October 09, 2008


Big League Stew had the chance to chat with NESN, and now TBS Analyst, Dennis Eckersley recently and the former closer had an interesting response to questions about his haircut. A few people, most notably Mike Greenberg, have bashed Eck's hair as of late, and he just doesn't know why....

BLS: So what's your response?

Eck: (laughs) What do you want me to do — cut my hair? This is who I am. I guess I can be critical, too, saying somebody dresses from the 70s, like "Come on when are you gonna change the style here?" I understand where they're coming from, but at the same time I'm sensitive to it.

BLS: That's one of the differences between the local and national spotlight, you weren't hearing about your hairstyle as much in Boston

Eck: Not at all because everyone knows who I am (in Boston). Nobody was thinking, "Who is that guy with the long hair?" I never realized what happens in this (national television) situation is that you're opening yourself up to scrutiny about everything ... and they care what you look like!

BLS: People have said that your hairstyle, is in fact, a mullet.

Eck: I hate that when they say mullet. That's not good when they say mullet because that means that they don't like my act. (Smiles)

BLS: But your hair is you.

Eck: I know, what am I supposed to do?
Greenberg called the hairstyle distracting, and while it's not the greatest thing I've ever seen atop someone's head, I don't really see it as such. Well it's certainly not as distracting as someone with a nasally voice, saying his show's name over and over again. Now that's distracting!

Dennis Eckersley hates when you call his hairstyle a mullet (Big League Stew)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 1:54 PM

7 Comments:

Living in Connecticut, I listen to Eck all the time and think he's great. I have never thought about his hair before the post and, frankly, I'm shocked anyone else is. But it's not a true mullet because there's a little party in the front to go with the big party in the back.

Anonymous said...
Oct 9, 2008, 3:55:00 PM  

Greenberg is just pissed because Eck is not a metrosexual.

GMoney said...
Oct 9, 2008, 4:12:00 PM  

If you listen to him all the time of course you don't think about his hair.

Barry Melrose was great at talking about hockey on ESPN all the time, and I'd take in what he said and respect the man, but I would still point out often that he had a horrible mullet.

It's the same thing as saying that Cosell and the rest of ABC wore awful, awful looking sports coats, but that doesn't mean the man wasn't great at his job.

Anonymous said...
Oct 9, 2008, 8:39:00 PM  

I've always thought that Eck's hairstyle made him look like Prince Valiant rather than having a mullet. He's always interesting to listen to and knows of which he speaks. And who cares what Mike Greenberg thinks, he sucks at everything. Maybe he should talk about why so many people can't stand his whiny little bitch attitude and would like nothing better than to punch him.

Anonymous said...
Oct 9, 2008, 10:50:00 PM  

Greenberg is getting in the middle of this?!?

A man with a national outlet who displays NO ONIONS and NO REAL OPINIONS when he's on the radio?

And he's going to call out Eck?

What a tool.

Greenberg, Golic and Mike Tirico can all sail out to sea on a canoe for all I care but they'd never find their way back because none of them would offer a strong opinion on how to find land.

Anonymous said...
Oct 10, 2008, 3:33:00 AM  

Eckersley without that hair would be like Fingers without his mustache, like the lead singer of REO Speedwagon with his manperm. At this point Eck really has no choice.

Owen Good said...
Oct 10, 2008, 12:53:00 PM  

Eck, be proud of who you are. Having a mullet didn't make Geddy Lee of Rush any less cool. If nothing else, the mullet enhanced Geddy's profile.

Brad James said...
Oct 10, 2008, 1:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment