USC, The Latest To Get The Prank Call Treatment

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

So last year both the The Sec and The Big East both got attacked by prank callers and now we can add the Pac-10 and USC's Pete Carroll to the ever-growing list. A guy who identified himself as Steve Marsh from "College Blog" (that didn't tip them off?) littered the coach with a series of sexual questions yesterday and eventually killed a conference call. From All Things Trojan and CBS Sports....

All Things Trojan: An occasional prankster himself, Pete Carroll was on the receiving end of a couple crank calls on Tuesday.

This week featured amateur hour in the Pac-10, when somebody posing as a reporter for a fake website asked Carroll to speculate on which players in the conference were "packing 10" in their shorts. Carroll laughed as league officials rushed to cut off the idiot, who insisted, "It's a legitimate question!"

And the transcript from CBS Sports....

Carroll: "I can't understand what you're saying, dude. "

"Marsh": "Coach, answer the question."

Carroll: "I'm not answering something ... I can't understand what you're saying, dude. What are you saying about Britney Spears?

"Marsh": "Would you ever reward your players with a date with her?"

Carroll: "I'm sorry I couldn't understand what you were saying. That's really not in my realm of control here, but of course I wouldn't. I wouldn't have anything to do with that. I'm not even addressing the answer any more than that."

"Marsh": "You have a good day coach."

Carroll: "You bet." (laughing)

"Marsh": "Coach, I've got a follow-up. What about trading in some of your players for, you know, the Trojan condoms? You ever think about (that)?"

Carroll: "Will somebody screen this frickin' call guys, let's go."

"Marsh": "Coach, one more question ..."

Carroll:
"Dude, I'm off this one. Thanks a lot, Ohio State. That was a great job there."

"Marsh": (laughing in the background) "He hung up on me."
Now I'm not innocent when it comes to prank calling, but this is kind of getting old. I mean it's one thing if you're clever about it and can actually fool someone, but going on and acting like an idiot is just annoying. And for god sakes, if you're going to do it....at least try and think of something clever, or record the thing so the rest of us can hear it!

Uncalled for behavior (All Things Trojan)
Prankster starts USC-Ohio State week on low note (CBS Sports)
The SEC Has A Big Problem With Prank Callers
The Big East Conference Prank Call Goes Public (Awful Announcing)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 1:03 PM

19 Comments:

That is hilarious. At least Carroll took it in stride. Can you imagine Tressel's reaction if someone did this to him?

GMoney said...
Sep 10, 2008, 1:31:00 PM  

If it's getting old, and it wasn't clever, and it wasn't recorded, why one earth would you devote an entire post to it?

Anonymous said...
Sep 10, 2008, 1:31:00 PM  

Sarcasm is seriously wasted on you. Put on your thinking cap and read again.

Sep 10, 2008, 1:33:00 PM  

Sarcasm is a terrible and lazy way to write.

Anonymous said...
Sep 10, 2008, 1:36:00 PM  

Haha. just because you don't get it AAHE doesnt mean it's lazy. aren't you supposed to be on a break from this site anyways?

Anonymous said...
Sep 10, 2008, 1:46:00 PM  

I certainly don't get it. I just don't see the sarcasm in this:
"...this is kind of getting old. I mean it's one thing if you're clever about it and can actually fool someone, but going on and acting like an idiot is just annoying."
Seriously, how is that sarcastic? If that's truly meant to be sarcastic, it's an example of terrible writing that certainly wouldn't pass Journalism 101, not even at James Madison.

Anonymous said...
Sep 10, 2008, 1:51:00 PM  

....And for god sakes, if you're going to do it....at least try and think of something clever, or record the thing so the rest of us can hear it!

God you're a simple man. Your shots at my education really hurt me to my core.

Sep 10, 2008, 2:11:00 PM  

@AAHE, Why don't you stop stalking AA and start your own site with your amazing journalism skills.

DIAF

Anonymous said...
Sep 10, 2008, 2:14:00 PM  

AA,

I'm waiting for your in depth interview of AA Hates ESPN. Is there any hope of that ever taking place? If so, I'm sure it would be very entertaining and enlightening for your readers. Please tell me it's in the works...

Anonymous said...
Sep 10, 2008, 2:42:00 PM  

Shawn Kemp - I was hoping for an AA Hates ESPN guest post, but that would be a fascinating interview:

AA: "When did your real name become public?"
AAHE: "Right before the video game. I know Ernie sounds like an odd name for a chicken."

/if this is accurate

Anonymous said...
Sep 10, 2008, 3:52:00 PM  

Anon,

I'd certainly settle for a guest post by AA Hates ESPN/Ernie!

I know AA aims to please so hopefully an interview or guest post will be forthcoming very soon. I can dare to dream, right?

Anonymous said...
Sep 10, 2008, 4:25:00 PM  

I definitely would, but I've offered to talk to him/her over email before and he/she will never step forward (it is rather easy to find out who people are by their IP address btw).

Sep 10, 2008, 4:29:00 PM  

(it is rather easy to find out who people are by their IP address btw)

That also means it's pretty easy to identify which regular commenter is writing these posts cracking on AA Hates ESPN "anonymously" as well.

/Jay(?)

Anonymous said...
Sep 10, 2008, 4:56:00 PM  

No brass balls, I guess. Come on AA Hates ESPN...step up to the plate. It could be your big moment in the sun.

Sincerely,

Your Fan(s)

Anonymous said...
Sep 10, 2008, 4:57:00 PM  

Richard Christy and Sal the Stockbroker would give this prank call thumbs down.

Kyle said...
Sep 10, 2008, 8:38:00 PM  

Thanks, I guess, Sean Kemp. But I can think of few things that would be more boring or more pointless than an interview with me on this site.

Anonymous said...
Sep 10, 2008, 10:48:00 PM  

SEAN Kemp? Please say that was intentional...

Kyle said...
Sep 10, 2008, 11:09:00 PM  

Come on AA Hates ESPN...don't sell yourself short. I'm sure you have a lot to offer and perhaps your story could inspire countless thousands to become self-appointed watchdogs of other internet sites.

A lot of AA's readers probably could care less, but for my own edification I'd like to know what compels you to do what you do. What makes AA Hates ESPN tick?

I'm making a wish right now and I hope that you can find it in your heart to make it come true.

Sincerely

Shawn

Anonymous said...
Sep 11, 2008, 12:43:00 AM  

That also means it's pretty easy to identify which regular commenter is writing these posts cracking on AA Hates ESPN "anonymously" as well.

No brass balls, I guess.

Yeah, no kidding.

Sep 11, 2008, 6:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment