Ernie Johnson And Turner Sports' Tribute To Skip Caray

Thursday, August 07, 2008

I mentioned on Tuesday that Turner Sports was working on putting together a few different tributes for Skip Caray, and I wanted to share the first one. Caray's friend and co-worker, Ernie Johnson intro'd this piece just after 5pm this evening and I don't think it could be more fitting....



There's really nothing else to add to that collection of highlights, and I think EJ's words from the clip just about sum up everyone's feelings on the passing of Caray....
"We’'ve been thinking a lot about Skip Caray these days. He died Sunday at the age of 68. Tough times for all of us here at Turner Sports as we remember Skip. He did Braves games for 33 seasons and if you ever watched him on TBS, you knew that here'’s what you were going to get: He would be witty, he would be down right funny, he could be grumpy, sometimes all in the same half inning. He was Harry Caray’'s son, yet he was his own man and he was a broadcast original. My father worked with him for 20 to 25 years so I got a chance to know Skip Caray as more than a broadcaster, I knew him as a devoted father and husband and I know his two sons, Josh and Chip, followed in his footsteps and took the same career path. I also know that on Monday they will be gratified, as will his widow, Paula, to see the number of people who turn out in Atlanta for a memorial service to remember Skip Caray. It will be a bunch of fans for whom the game will never be quite the same because a one-of-a-kind voice has fallen silent.”" - Ernie Johnson
TBS/TNT Preparing Multiple Skip Caray Tributes (Awful Announcing)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 6:19 PM

10 Comments:

That Jeffrey Leonard 6-4-3 call is classic. There aren't many - if any - broadcasters that can make that call and still come off as likable. He was really one of a kind.

Binny said...
Aug 7, 2008, 6:38:00 PM  

I didn't think Ernie was gonna get through that thing a couple of times. He hung in there though and made to the end.

Jay said...
Aug 7, 2008, 7:23:00 PM  

I think I was probably between the ages of 5 or 7, when I first started listening to Braves games as kid in Georgia. Most of my favorite childhood memories revolve around Braves games...and Skip was always apart of that. From the Justice homer against the Reds in '91 to The Catch and when Sid Slide. I remember not too long ago on a family vaction back to Georgia, I went on a tour of Turner Field and got to go in the Press Box and sit in Skip's seat. It was magical. I remember the tour guide telling us how the official scorer would sit on the front row of Press Row next door. Until they had to move him or her because Skip would make dirty faces or gestures when he didn't agree with the scoring.
I remember a month about him and Pete going back an forth about a shot sheet they were handed to read on the air about "Singles Night," it was absolutely priceless. It's what made myself and so many others love Skip. He is the reason I developed a love for baseball and why I am now a sports writer. I was working a minor league baseball game in Salem, Ore., when I found out about Skip's passing. I struggled just to make it through the rest of the night, Skip's death was like lossing a grandfather. I wish so badly I could be in Atlanta on Monday to celebrate the man that has been a hero to so many people for the last 33 years.
One Last Time:
Totals and Highlights after this...

So Long, Everybody...

Aug 7, 2008, 7:49:00 PM  

Sad to see Skip go, but that reel is just another example of how YELLING is considered to be the greatest moments of sports announcing.

I remember when Skip used to make all kinds of obscure references during the 80's Braves games, how he would make fun of the movie coming up after the game he had to promote, how he used to say "here we are at the top of another fifth and we sure are looking forward to it" etc, etc.

I also remember how he would ridicule people on the Brave's pregame radio call-in show that asked stupid questions. Funny stuff. That's the Skip Carey I will remember, not just the screaming moments.

Anonymous said...
Aug 7, 2008, 7:54:00 PM  

AA - please get a chance to check out Emmitt Smith on the Cold Hard Facts segment of SC this morning. You will be glad you did and so will the readers...

Anonymous said...
Aug 8, 2008, 2:37:00 AM  

I'm relieved that EJ didn't try to eulogize Skip in a "Gone Fishin'" segment. That would have been a bit tacky.

GMoney said...
Aug 8, 2008, 10:46:00 AM  

"but that reel is just another example of how YELLING is considered to be the greatest moments of sports announcing."

I see what you're saying, but having had the rare opportunity to call a walk off as a broadcaster in college, you just kind of go where the moment takes you. If the crowd goes nuts, why shouldn't the announcer?

Big D said...
Aug 8, 2008, 11:21:00 AM  

i spent many a spring in west palm beach and followed the braves as a kid in spring training. skip was not a nice guy to kids and was mean. But, that piece on TNT was pretty special and he seemed like a special broadcaster.

Anonymous said...
Aug 8, 2008, 5:49:00 PM  

I dont get it.
Hes just a dude with nice pipes.
Im sure there were many great Fathers that didnt come home from Iraq. Youd think he invented the curveball or something. Blah.

Anonymous said...
Aug 9, 2008, 11:21:00 AM  

To the two anonymous posters who tried to diminish Skip Caray's memory, shame on you! I wonder if either of you have a heart. I would like to see either of you at Christmas time as you play the Grinch.

Skip was an icon for an entire region and, for that matter, an entire nation thanks to the superstation that TBS was at the time.

God bless you, Skip.

Anonymous said...
Aug 11, 2008, 2:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment