Yankees Broadcaster Bobby Murcer: 1946-2008

Saturday, July 12, 2008


It was just last May when I was requesting a slow clap for Bobby Murcer's return to the Yankees booth. Unfortunately today Murcer has passed away at the age of 62 after his Cancer went back into remission at the end of June....

NEW YORK (AP) — Bobby Murcer, a five-time All-Star outfielder who spent nearly four decades with the New York Yankees as a player, executive and announcer, has died. He was 62. The Yankees said Murcer died Saturday due to complications from brain cancer. He was surrounded by family at Mercy Hospital in his hometown of Oklahoma City, the team said.

"Bobby Murcer was a born Yankee, a great guy, very well-liked and a true friend of mine," Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said. "I extend my deepest sympathies to his wife Kay, their children and grandchildren. I will really miss the guy."
All in all, Bobby beat the odds to survive surgery and recovery after a malignant tumor was found in his brain back in 2006. It's always tough to lose anyone and even though Murcer's life wasn't as long as others, he lived a good one.

Former Yanks great Murcer dies at 62 (MLB)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 6:58 PM

10 Comments:

R.I.P. Bobby...

UnHoly Diver said...
Jul 12, 2008, 7:34:00 PM  

I grew up a fierce BoSox fan. More than one Fenway outing was ruined by something he did. I always told my friends that I feared him the most, for a longer time, than any Yankee. As much as I hated losing to them, I always admired Bobby Murcer. Nobody ever cut a better figure wearing the pinstripes.

Anonymous said...
Jul 12, 2008, 8:54:00 PM  

Loved him as an announcer. He made the Yankee broadcasts enjoyable and often shone above Michael Kay and co. in the booth. One of the best announcers they've had in their history.

Brian said...
Jul 12, 2008, 11:28:00 PM  

I had the opportunity to meet him at an Italian restaurant in the late 90s when I was a middle-schooler. I work in broadcasting now- largely because of him. He was so genuine, so down to Earth, so humble. I asked him what he used to train to become an announcer.

"I played centerfield for the Yankees, the Dodgers, & the Giants. That was pretty much it."

Anonymous said...
Jul 13, 2008, 1:47:00 AM  

RIP.

Remember this when you next hear Joe Buck and his ridiculous incessant whining about how he can't stand doing baseball games.

Just hates it.

Anonymous said...
Jul 13, 2008, 3:38:00 AM  

I’m lucky enough to have watched Murcer make his return to the Yankees and then follow him thorugh boradcasting. He will be missed.

Anonymous said...
Jul 13, 2008, 8:07:00 AM  

RIP Bobby.

On a side note, you have the wrong term in the story. When cancer goes into remission, it means it is shrinking. Unfortunately, Bobby's cancer was not in remission.

Anonymous said...
Jul 13, 2008, 3:36:00 PM  

Why is it whenever someone dies they're suddenly great?



I for one think Murcer is/was an overrated dick who was a terrible broadcaster and an average baseball player, fuck those 5 time all-star selections.


RIP I guess....

Anonymous said...
Jul 13, 2008, 4:21:00 PM  

Always a good day when a Yankee Dies.

Anonymous said...
Jul 13, 2008, 6:56:00 PM  

To Anonymous 4:21 & 6:56 -
Always a good day when chicken shit, anonymous commenters make douchebags out of themselves.

/Fixed.

Anonymous said...
Jul 13, 2008, 10:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment