Katie Couric Mistakes Rick Reilly For Creator Of The Easy Bake Oven

Thursday, July 24, 2008


I'll spare you the pain of reading the rest of Rick Reilly's new column (people mistook him for Rick Rhoden, he knows Herm Edwards, he hates some blogger) and just skip to the funny part. The story is about how people mistake people in the Sports World and Reilly decided to share his meeting with Katie Couric during his book tour....

The capper, though, was Katie Couric, late of the Today show. I was in the green room, waiting to go on and plug a book, when she came running up to me like a long-lost sister, 1,000-watt smile and open arms.

"I am SO happy to meet you!" she cooed, giving me a big hug.
"Oh, well, me, too!" I said, flummoxed.
"I'm really looking forward to our segment!" she said. "I loved it as a kid! Do you have the recipe?"
"Yes! No. What?"
"The recipe! Which recipe will we be making?"
"Uh, no. I'm a sportswriter. I really don't do, uh, recipes."
"You're not the Easy-Bake oven guy?"
"No, sorry."

And with that, she spun on her five-inch heels and left me behind like a roadside San-o-let.
Man, those are one of the things I would have loved to have seen in person. Great story but Reilly just officially replaced Simmons as "#1 Name Dropper" over at the "Leader". If Reilly manages to bring up Jimmy Kimmel, I think the world will implode.

Hey, what's-your-name! I love you. (Life of Reilly)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 2:02 PM

6 Comments:

god hes such a regular sports fan!

BackBergtt said...
Jul 24, 2008, 2:43:00 PM  

At least Simmons drops names in the act of telling a fun story (e.g. "we were at Kimmel's and X happened"), rather than writing a column solely devoted to pointing out that a) he's famous and b) he's met/knows famous people.

Writing a column on being famous is the pinnacle of pretentiousness and conceitedness, and I can do without reading such garbage.

Anonymous said...
Jul 24, 2008, 2:57:00 PM  

You couldn't put a price tag on witnessing that event. Too good.

GMoney said...
Jul 24, 2008, 4:05:00 PM  

I did enjoy reading Reilly's columns when he first took over the back page at SI. However, reading his 800 words on ESPN.COM and/or watching him on TV now is like looking over at an accident on the side of the road.

His 96 mph heater is down to about 68...

Anonymous said...
Jul 24, 2008, 4:26:00 PM  

the Easy Bake Oven guy IS more popular than a guy called Rick Reilly. who's that anyway?

Anonymous said...
Jul 25, 2008, 1:23:00 AM  

Sdsg is absolutely right. No one looks more out of place on television than Rick Reilly...except for maybe Katie Couric on the CBS Evening News.

Sportsattitude said...
Jul 26, 2008, 11:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment