Jaws Talks Monday Night Football Changes And Eyewear

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Ron Jaworski sat down with the now must listen On The DL and the MNF Analyst talked about everything from QBing in Philly to athletes who automatically get spots in a booth upon retirement. The whole thing is worth a listen but here are a few quotes....

On Kornheiser: "I love Tony Kornheiser and I love his role. Just how I love Mike Tirico and what he has to do."

On the nixing of sideline reporters: "I think the focus is going to be on the game.....I tune in for the game and I think the game needs to be the centerpiece of the telecast. And Suzy and Michele are absolutely fantastic. I couldn't think of two better sideline reporters, two better people. They're absolutely incredibly talented ladies, but the focus now is going to be more on the game.

On athletes on TV: "There are a lot of great names that made the transition to television and failed. You know Joe Montana comes up rather quickly......I'm doing Monday Night Football now but it took me 17 years to get to the position. In the interim I've worked every position in television."

On Michael Strahan: "I think the networks do care about fan perception. I think Michael Strahan is guy that's done studio shows in his bye week, we've had him at ESPN....I think the personality will come across well on television. The only thing I question is the depth."

On his glasses: "You know, it's amazing, after 17 years in broadcasting I get more blogs and emails about my glasses then about anything I’ve ever done on television. I look at it this way – at least people are watching. I change them up every year, so I’ll have a new look this year."
Great interview and he really didn't even hold any punches outside of not commenting on Emmitt Smith. He's the perfect example of how hard work can get you prepared for the booth and is basically the anti-Smith. It's one of the main reasons that people love him as an analyst on MNF.

Ron Jaworski talks with the DL (On The DL)
Ron Jaworski: Yes, I Know I Look Like An Old Lesbian (Deadspin)

10 Comments:

So if they are going to focus more on the game, does that mean we won't have to put up with anymore booth interviews?

Anonymous said...
Jul 1, 2008, 4:49:00 PM  

If only he would that insighful and honest when doing the games.

Anonymous said...
Jul 1, 2008, 4:49:00 PM  

"Jaws"? Shouldn't we be calling him "Cheeks"? Lookit them floppers!

Anonymous said...
Jul 1, 2008, 5:09:00 PM  

How do you get "blogs" about your glasses?

GMoney said...
Jul 1, 2008, 5:25:00 PM  

What do you have against punctuation? A comma can be your friend. I mean, this sentence is virtually unreadable: "He's the perfect example of how hard work can get you prepared for the booth and is basically the anti-Smith and it's one of the reasons that people love him as an analyst on MNF."

Anonymous said...
Jul 1, 2008, 5:39:00 PM  

I can't stand Jaworski. He makes me want to stick an ice pick in my brain whenever I see or hear him.

UnHoly Diver said...
Jul 1, 2008, 6:02:00 PM  

If used correctly, sideline reporters can help put more focus on the game, by explaining injuries or reporting on information they overhear during the game. They become a problem when they go all Suzy Kolber on the sideline and pass off prepackaged material as "reporting."

Anonymous said...
Jul 1, 2008, 6:14:00 PM  

I've always thought of Jaworski as a broadcaster first, and that's pretty rare for ex-jocks. I almost have to remind myself that not only was he a football player, but he was a really good one. With other quality ex-player broadcasters like Barkeley, Madden, Jim Deshaies, even Terry Bradshaw, you always think of them as this candid ex-player/coach with interesting insight. Summerall is the only comparison to Jaworksi I can think of, and that's probably only because he played so long ago.

Anonymous said...
Jul 1, 2008, 7:55:00 PM  

AA - C'mon, get serious. Jawaorski is as mundane as they come. He's a dime-a-dozen analyst who draws raves from imbeciles because he spends 500 hours a week in a film room. Who gives a rat's ass? Jaworski's entertainment value? Less than zero. He'd be a vial of Sominex except for the fact he never shuts up. The MNF team is horrible.

Anonymous said...
Jul 1, 2008, 10:21:00 PM  

I prefer Jaws in studio. But maybe it's because I think Kornheiser has no business in the booth.

Anonymous said...
Jul 2, 2008, 10:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment