BBC To Use Gorillaz Inspired Cartoon Character For Olympic Coverage

Monday, July 28, 2008

How is this for random? The BBC has employed the services of Jamie Hewlett and Damon Albarn of the pop/rock/hip-hop group the Gorillaz to put together an ad for their Olympic coverage. From The 700 Level via Sterogum....

Gorillaz guys Jamie Hewlett and Damon Albarn have put together a pretty sweet little promo clip for BBC Sports's Beijing Summer Olympic coverage. I'm not much of an Olympics fan, so maybe this trippy cartoon narrative -- based in part on Gorrillaz' (and Chen Shi-Zheng's) Monkey: Journey to the West -- will be the only lasting impression I have from the games. It doesn't seem very Olympic at first, but wait for the finale.
Here's a look at the spot. Enjoy!



Kind of cool if you ask me. Hopefully NBC comes up with something similar but I picture Bob Costas and Bela Karyoli having tea while Gymnastics clips play in the background.

BBC Olympics Coverage to Feature Gorillaz Created Monkey (The 700 Level)
Gorillaz Light The Olympic Torch For The BBC (Stereogum)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 3:37 PM

8 Comments:

ESPN would use REO Speedwagon.

GMoney said...
Jul 28, 2008, 5:23:00 PM  

Great spot...very, very innovative (but nothing that would ever fly here...Americans are far too dumb as a whole to understand ads like this).

Unknown said...
Jul 28, 2008, 8:38:00 PM  

Reminds me of when Fox used Scooter to describe how a curveball curved.

Anonymous said...
Jul 28, 2008, 8:56:00 PM  

WTF was that?

I love you guys at this site... check here everyday, and mostly, I agree with everything you say. This, on the other hand, I have to differ on. Personally, I'd rather watch Costas sip his tea with John Williams' symphony playing in the background... that looked like I was watching some revamped Pokemon thing...

Just my two cents.

Anonymous said...
Jul 29, 2008, 12:44:00 AM  

Couldn't expect much more out of a yankee fan I suppose.

Unknown said...
Jul 29, 2008, 3:37:00 AM  

Needs more Larry the Cable Guy and Toby Keith music...


/typical American

Noce said...
Jul 29, 2008, 2:12:00 PM  

Racist and Homophobic.

Anonymous said...
Jul 29, 2008, 3:46:00 PM  

Hey I'm a Yankee fan and I thought that kicked ass!

Jay said...
Jul 29, 2008, 4:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment