The Reilly-Simmons Feud Rages On

Thursday, June 12, 2008


The two ESPN writers extraordinaire have been taking veiled shots at each other for a few weeks now and it doesn't appear to be letting up anytime soon. The latest barb comes from Reilly in an interview with (Via Deadspin)....

When Reilly compared his work to that of Simmons, he said, "Old school-new school. I'm not doing more than 800 words, I'm not from Boston, I don't write a lot about the NBA. I'm more likely to tell a story that has a beginning, a middle and an end. He's a blogger. I still love reading him."
Ouch. I know that Simmons doesn't consider himself a blogger these days, but that's a pretty low blow. I'd love to get through an entire week where MSMers aren't bashing one another and just enjoy their cushy lives, but I guess we're all at an impass these days.

There's a reason that Simmons has well over a million readers per article and that's because he identifies with fans (not just in Boston). Reilly could probably learn a bit from a lesson in "blogging". We don't all care about Golfing with Bill Clinton whether Bob Costas thinks we do or not. Just saying.

Two men enter! One man leaves!

Rick Reilly joins ESPN's brave new world (Market Watch)
Rick Reilly Continues To Not Think Too Highly Of That Billy Simmons Kid (Deadspin)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 9:07 AM

12 Comments:

Much as I've come to dislike Simmons's shtick, there's no question that in this situation, I hope he eats Reilly's heart.

ben said...
Jun 12, 2008, 9:38:00 AM  

I don't understand how that's a barb. I mean the "beginning, middle and end" part was a little harsh but I don't think he meant it too be too negative. He also said that he loves reading him. I feel like this neesd to be put to bed.

Jeff V said...
Jun 12, 2008, 9:48:00 AM  

As much as I hate all the Celtics garbage that we're being fed, I'll take an opinion column over a fluff piece about not knowing your dad anyday. Reilly basically writes Chris Connelly's My Wish segments.

GMoney said...
Jun 12, 2008, 10:20:00 AM  

Not sure there really is a feud going on here. Reilly even says that he loves reading Simmons. It appears that he was just answering a question about the differences between the two. It seems that the whole Simmons-Reilly-ESPN thing is getting blown out of proportion (not just here, but in many blogs).

Anonymous said...
Jun 12, 2008, 10:36:00 AM  

Not sure which thread to post this one, but does anyone know what's going on with the ESPN US Open coverage right now? Is there some sort of rights thing that doesn't allow them to just start regular coverage and show each shot for the Woods-Mickelson-Scott group? They showed them teeing off, but now they're doing features and interviews, all from Karl Ravech and Andy North on the desk. I'd rather just watch the golf.

Anonymous said...
Jun 12, 2008, 11:17:00 AM  

Hey Anon, I'm watching too and it's a little odd. There have been five Coleen Dominguez reports already. I'd also love to see some other players but I guess we won't get that.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Jun 12, 2008, 11:50:00 AM  

I know they're trying to do a preview sort of thing, but once the pairings were announced, don't you think they would adjust a little and just show live golf? Fortunately I don't mind Ravech or North, but when they just did the third hole via the "webcast" with Terry Gannon, it was much much better. I don't understand why they don't just show golf.

Anonymous said...
Jun 12, 2008, 11:55:00 AM  

When you look up unctuous in the dictionary, there's a picture of Reilly.

odessasteps said...
Jun 12, 2008, 12:27:00 PM  

The best part of that Market Watch piece with Reilly is the "Tale of the Tape" at the end, where the writer does a compariosn of both Reilly and Simmons and ends with this blast:

Loves: Reilly-golf, Simmons-himself

Anonymous said...
Jun 12, 2008, 12:28:00 PM  

This ESPN "coverage" of the US Open is the shittiest work I've ever seen them do.

It entirely consists of Tiger Woods, Mickelson, and then back to Karl Ravech or Tom Rinaldi at the driving range for a stupid conversation or a feature piece on Putters. This is like Golf Channel overnight stuff.

ben said...
Jun 12, 2008, 12:52:00 PM  

remember that episode when shirley was writing a popular column for the schotz brewery newsletter and then laverne also got to write for the newsletter and then towards the end of the episode they started bitch slapping each other?

-dan

Anonymous said...
Jun 12, 2008, 1:45:00 PM  

Both of these jackoffs should rot in a barrel of tainted tomatoes. Two little twerpy putzes with thin little pipsqueak voices trying to be TV and radio stars. Puke all over them.....

Anonymous said...
Jun 12, 2008, 8:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment