Kentucky Derby Predictions

Saturday, May 03, 2008


(posted by One More Dying Quail)

Last year, I tried my hand at using some logical analysis to predict the winner of the Kentucky Derby (I failed. Never use, "The horse has one eye!" as your number one reason for choosing a particular horse). This time around, I'll still pick a winner, but a much more reasonable method will be used: guesstimation.

Well, sort of. I actually looked at those two links below and picked a couple of my favorite names. Here we go (in order of finish - I think)...

1. Anak Nakal (50-1) - Means "mischievous child" in Indonesian. I've got one of those.
2. Eight Belles (10-1) - She's a lady horse. I'm all about Women's Lib.
3. Big Truck (40-1) - Gets his name from his sire, Hook and Ladder. My father was a firefighter for thirty years.
4. Denis of Cork (25-1) - I'm pretty sure at least part of my family came from County Cork, Ireland.

For the record, the overall favorites are Big Brown (2-1), Colonel John (4-1), and Pyro (5-1).

Twenty Reasons to bet Twenty Horses: 2008 Kentucky Derby (Joe Sports Fan)
What’s in a name? Lots for the 20 Derby horses (Yahoo! Sports)
Kentucky Derby Odds (gohorsebetting.com)

Just noticed that ESPN has predictions from several analysts:

Randy Moss: Big Brown
Bill Finley: Big Brown
Hank Goldberg: Colonel John
Jay Cronley: Pyro
Jay Privman: Colonel John
Jeremy Plonk: Colonel John

Posted by One More Dying Quail at 1:12 PM

3 Comments:

Bold predictions by the ESPN experts
[/sarcasm]

Anonymous said...
May 3, 2008, 2:46:00 PM  

Yeah, Dale Jarrett jumped on the Big Brown wagon on air on ESPN a couple days ago. The UPS driver said it's meant to happen since this is his "last year."

Didn't he retire like 4 years ago?

Anonymous said...
May 3, 2008, 3:58:00 PM  

OT, but during the Cubs-Cardinals game, the pitch or two before Fontenot hit the three-run homer in the 4th, the score had already been adjusted to 6-0. Either the game is horribly delayed (the real answer) or the crew in the Fox truck can see the future.

Anonymous said...
May 3, 2008, 4:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment