How Easy Is It To Declare For The NBA Draft? This Easy.....

Tuesday, May 06, 2008


A gentleman by the name of Zach Feinstein decided to test the powers that be at the National Basketball Association. With just a letter and a few forms of information the 5'8", 130 pound Junior at Washington University in St. Louis (double majoring in Systems Engineering and Applied Mathematics), is officially a candidate for the NBA Draft......

At this point I was unsure what would be needed next, so I waited to be contacted.

Finally on April 1, I got a reply - a letter in my mailbox from the NBA. But this was no April Fools' joke. They were letting me into the NBA Draft.

All I needed to do was fill out 3 pages. I faxed those forms in on April 2nd.

Since I had waited and heard nothing back from the NBA in terms of confirmation, on the morning of April 14th I decided to call up the NBA. This conversation went quite well as Erika Ruiz quickly confirmed that all my papers were in order and no further steps needed to be made by me. And behold as of May 1 I am able to find myself on the Early Entry List at draftexpress.com and nbadraft.net under "unknown players".
How awesome is that? Even more how great would it be if a team completely f'ed up and took the kid?! Good work Zach and good luck in New York on June 26th!

How Did I Declare For The NBA Draft? (DraftFeinstein.com)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 5:37 PM

8 Comments:

Too bad for Zach that Isiah Thomas got fired.

Anonymous said...
May 6, 2008, 6:40:00 PM  

I once had the idea to sign up for the NFL Draft as "Quinn Brady" but it's a lot harder to register for that one.

Maynard said...
May 6, 2008, 7:46:00 PM  

and other "unknown individuals" who are likely entering their name in the draft as a practical joke.

HOW CAN YOU DELIBERATELY SABOTAGE A YOUNG MAN'S DREAM LIKE THAT? MR. FEINSTEIN IS GOING THROUGH THE SAME PROCESS AS EVERYONE ELSE AND TO DENY HIM EQUAL RIGHTS TO A SERIOUS LOOK BY TEAMS IS A JOKE.

Anonymous said...
May 6, 2008, 8:31:00 PM  

This isn't something completely new. Jeff Perlman, who writes for ESPN and used to write for SI, did this when he was in college for a column. Apparently, Rod Thorne even called him to make sure he understood his decision.

Anonymous said...
May 6, 2008, 9:28:00 PM  

anonymous 8:31 - Joe D?

Anonymous said...
May 6, 2008, 9:57:00 PM  

If you're looking to get picked by accident, just aim for the MLB draft, there are way more rounds and picks, and if you go to a big baseball school (Miami, FSU, CS-F, UNC) maybe a team will get bored in a late round and mistakenly take you. I think someone once drafted their daughter or something.

ryan said...
May 7, 2008, 7:40:00 AM  

Can I apply for the WNBA Draft like Juwanna Mann???

GMoney said...
May 7, 2008, 10:56:00 AM  

I've heard of teams drafting guys who had died, so it could happen.

Eric (Extra P.) said...
May 7, 2008, 4:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment