Dodgers Annoucner Vin Scully Hints At Retirement

Friday, May 02, 2008


One of the people can't say anything wrong about LA Dodgers announcer Vin Scully. He's been the voice of the Dodgers since 1950 when they were located in Brooklyn and his contract is up following this season. He didn't come out and say that he was going to, but he hinted at it during a talk at Fordham University. Via the NY Times....

But his contract expires after this season, and he said he would follow the advice of his wife, Sandy, about continuing a run that began in Brooklyn in 1950 and has spanned the ownership of the O’Malley family, Rupert Murdoch and Frank McCourt.

“I want to spend a lot of time with her,” he said at the dinner at Sotheby’s that honored him and another renowned Fordham alumnus, Charles Osgood, of CBS News.

“There’s a lot of hoopla in this job, but it’s lonely for the wife,” he said. “So I want to talk seriously with her about her feelings. I want to know what’s in her head. We’ll talk it out over the long summer and then we’ll talk to Frank.”

He said that he did not know what his wife would say. “She’s so selfless,” he said, “that she’ll probably say, ‘Whatever you feel you should do, we’ll do,’ and then we’ll be back at Square 1. It’s a question I get asked a lot at this age.”
The LA Times confirmed today that he was considering it, but not ready yet to call it the end. It's hard as a Sports fan to not be selfish, but if you've been working for the same employer for almost 60 years....you should be allowed to do whatever you want. Which includes being able to only call home games if you so choose.

Vin Scully Awaits Wife’s Cue on Continuing Long Run (NY Times)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 9:48 AM

9 Comments:

Since he is who he is, do you think that he could work out a deal that he does all the home games and someone else hits the road with the team???

GMoney said...
May 2, 2008, 10:46:00 AM  

I think it's very possible. Who could say no to Vin Scully?

The Editor said...
May 2, 2008, 11:01:00 AM  

The Dodgers could and would do that if he asked. Since he doesn't travel further east than Denver (only calling NL West road games), it's not much of a stretch.

Signal to Noise said...
May 2, 2008, 12:24:00 PM  

I just want to say that Vin Scully is amazing. I'm a Yankees fan, but I watch as many Dodger home games on mlb.tv as I can, just to listen to his pipes call the game.

I love the one-man-booth and wish this was more popular in MLB (you avoid useless conversation, and the game feels much more personal) -- but I can't think of any other current announcers with the class, intelligence, and silky smooth voice to pull it off.

I'll miss him if he retires, but you're right, he can do whatever the hell he wants.

Jay said...
May 2, 2008, 2:12:00 PM  

How much to MLB announcers make?

Anonymous said...
May 2, 2008, 4:11:00 PM  

Vin Scully was the first voice I heard over the airwaves more than 40 years ago as a teenager growing up in Switzerland tuning in to the Armed Forces Network at night and getting mesmerized by that unforgettable voice. I will always remember the excitement I felt at hearing it. It was only later that I actually found out that what I heard over the airwaves was a game called baseball and the team the Dodgers. I've been a baseball fan ever since and living in the United States I'll forever remember Vin Scully.

Anonymous said...
May 5, 2008, 1:24:00 AM  

I started listening to Vin Scully over 30 years ago, as a youngster growing up in the San Fernando Valley. To this day, his voice sounds the same today as it did over 30 years ago.
Vin Scully is the Dodgers.

Anonymous said...
May 13, 2008, 10:38:00 PM  

Vin Scully has to be the best voice in sports announcing.I certainly will miss him. "back----back--- way back....It's gone."

Cathy

Anonymous said...
Jul 23, 2008, 7:20:00 PM  

Without any shadow of doubt Vinny will NOT retire....I will bet anything he will only do home games from now on......

Anonymous said...
Jul 28, 2008, 12:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment