Your NCAA Tournament Day One In Quotes

Thursday, March 20, 2008


Well that was a fun opening day wasn't it? Yeah I didn't think so either. Duke teased with us for 39 minutes and 50 seconds and Craig Bolerjack and Bob Wenzel got every close game. I know it's not easy to talk for 8 hours in a day, but seriously....they are terrible (hence all of their quotes below). Other than them everyone was pretty on par with the boring games. Not much you can do when the games are bad. Oh and Carter Blackburn was very impressive.

I'm saving the announcing grades until the end of each Round but let's just say they are the only team failing right now. Here are the best of the worst from day one.....
_______________________

"How about Gaines leads the team in Points, Rebounds, Assists, and Steals. He also sells hot dogs."- Bob Wenzel

"When you give the guy the ball with the shot clock running down it is like handing him a hand grenade with the pin pulled out".- Jay Bilas (Via Mal)

"Dave, don't try to block shots, Bliss! You're better when you're on the floor, fella!" - Craig Bolerjack (Via S2N)

(As an on-screen graphic shows both Belmont & Duke are 12/24 on field goals): "Belmont hanging around by shooting nearly 60%." - Seth Davis (Via Hanrahan)

"And a turnover off the inbounds, after the time out. As a former coach, what does that do to you?"- Craig Bolerjack
"Gives you grey hair."- Bob Wenzel
"As clearly evidenced."- Craig Bolerjack
(Via S2N)

"No one uses the dribble on Georgia unless they're going somewhere."- Craig Bolerjack

"They'll get some hands on balls."- Len Elmore

"Those games played at Georgia Tech which if you didn't know is a rival of Georgia."- Bob Wenzel

"The best way to combat that defense is to put the ball in the basket."- Len Elmore (Via Zak)

"Back Door #5 by my Bruins!!!"- Bob Wenzel

"The tension in the building is building."- Craig Bolerjack

"Rises... and... f... hits it... hmm"- Gus Johnson

"Nice play by Kryziewski." - Bob Wenzel (Via Hanrahan)

"The Bruins from the East Coast!"- Bob Wenzel (Tennessee is not on a coast)

"Justin Hare will go to medical school following graduation. A 3.87 GPA. I'd have him work on me."- Craig Bolerjack (Via Mal)

"Akognon is just so...ok, heh heh, I did it."- Dan Bonner (Via Hanrahan)

"It should be near three seconds."- Craig Bolerjack
"If it's under three you have to get a tip."- Bob Wenzel

"Bo Ryan has knees of iron"- Dan Bonner (Via Mal)

"That ball pops out like a cork."- Craig Bolerjack

And my personal favorite.....

"They're going to have to do it over Joe Crawford who's played like Two and a Half Men."- Jay Bilas
______________________________

Now onto the teams of Nantz-Packer,
Lundquist and Raftery, Eagle and Spanarkel, and Brando and Gminski........this can only going to get worse.

11 Comments:

You know where "Oh God, not this commercial again," meets "If I owned a gun, I'd kill myself right now"? I'm so there.

Anonymous said...
Mar 21, 2008, 12:09:00 AM  

Listening to Nantz and Packer will make me yearn for Bolerjack and Wenzel.

Hanrahan said...
Mar 21, 2008, 12:18:00 AM  

THE FIFTH BACKDOOR OF THE GAME

the nut they were busting every time belmont did something good was incredible. and rightfully so, but good god they sounded ridiculous.

BackBergtt said...
Mar 21, 2008, 12:43:00 AM  

Well at least you had Marv calling the Celtics vs Mavs, which turned out to be a great game. (Notice I did not include Reggie)

Unknown said...
Mar 21, 2008, 12:51:00 AM  

Honestly, I'm not dreading Nantz and Packer as much as I thought I would. I know it'll be awful, but I think that after WenzelJack today, I'm almost numb to the whole thing.

Willmott said...
Mar 21, 2008, 12:57:00 AM  

I like Lundquist and Raftery and think their pretty entertaining

Mark B said...
Mar 21, 2008, 1:07:00 AM  

I was listening to the Westwood One broadcasts, and on one game, Bill Frieder kept referring to loose balls. OK, it wasn't really that funny, but that's all I could come up with...

And Seth Davis needs to be punched in the neck. He's awful.

UnHoly Diver said...
Mar 21, 2008, 1:13:00 AM  

Truly one of the low marks in NCAA Tournament viewing and announcing history. Just a travishamockery all around.

Anonymous said...
Mar 21, 2008, 1:30:00 AM  

What's with this constant mention of "highlight restrictions" on espn tonight? They can only show like 10 seconds of highlights...some games they don't even show at all...wtf???

Anonymous said...
Mar 21, 2008, 2:03:00 AM  

I actually don't mind Lundquist/Raftery and Eagle/Spanarkle, but I'm stuck with Nantz/Packer

Sam said...
Mar 21, 2008, 11:12:00 AM  

I realize this probably isn't the space to write this but I'm surprised no one, and I mean no one, has mentioned how incredibly bad the MMOD halftime show is with that hack Jason Horowitz, Norm Roberts and my man Joe Jones.

AWFUL.

Horowitz has an ego that might be bigger than both Roberts and Jones combined. The kid is off the charts horrible.

Has anyone subjected themselves to this punishment?

Anonymous said...
Mar 21, 2008, 1:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment