Rumors Of Billy Packer's Retirement Surface In Chicago

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

There was a blind item in a Teddy Greenstein column over at the Chicago Tribune today that caught Sports by Brooks and my eye(s) today. Apparently people have been questioning CBS as to whether or not this is Billy Packer's last NCAA Tournament. CBS is denying that it is, but where the hell did this come from? I hadn't seen it anywhere until today....

This just in:

A CBS Sports spokeswoman shot down a rumor that this would be Billy Packer's last NCAA tournament. It will be Packer's 34th Final Four....
That's it. That's all it says. I love Teddy Greenstein, but I personally would love a little background there. (On a side note, I haven't really been THAT annoyed by Packer this year. He wasn't as bad on the ACC Tournament compared to years past.)

I've really been making an effort to stay away from the whole Blogs vs. MSM thing (who really cares in the long run), which is why I didn't address Bob Costas' comments, but this item got me thinking....where are all of these blogs that start rumors? I think I wrote about one when the whole Herbstreit-Michigan thing can up, but that was just a joke. I can really think of only one major blog that regularly features rumors, but most of those seem to pan out. I think both mediums do their fair share of rumor milling, don't you?

New To Us: “Rumor” Packer Getting Pushed Out? (Sports by Brooks)
Blackhawks near deal to televise all 82 games (Chicago Tribune)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 1:25 PM

8 Comments:

I agree with the Packer comment about the ACC. He did a solid job covering the ACC Tournament (I live in the south so I get the ESPN blackouts.) I think that when its a big-time game with Jim Nantz (Verne seems to handle him better) he starts acting like the Billy Packer we don't like.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 2:16:00 PM  

Also in that Tribune piece, I didn't even realize that Greg Anthony is off ESPN. To say I haven't been watching NBA Fastbreak would be an understatement.

Mar 18, 2008, 2:49:00 PM  

Let the debate begin...who would take over as their number one analyst?

Raftery? Elmore? Kellog?

I would personally go for Raft, but my hunch in that they'd go with Kellog or try to hire someone new.

Unknown said...
Mar 18, 2008, 2:53:00 PM  

Stephen Bardo?
I'm imagining a lead broadcast team of Jim Nantz & Jay Bilas.

Mar 18, 2008, 2:59:00 PM  

I call BS. Christmas is still over 8 months away.

MDT said...
Mar 18, 2008, 2:59:00 PM  

I've heard a rumor that The Awful GF is banging Brent Musberger.

GMoney said...
Mar 18, 2008, 3:26:00 PM  

No way is Packer retiring...When I lived in NC, I read an article in the Observer on him and Packer said he thinks he has ten more years left in him...I read that article in 2003- so we've got seven more years left...

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 3:37:00 PM  

How about Nantz and Vitale? Can you imagine??

And OT, I enjoyed CBS selection show coverage. Jim and Billy were actually congenial towards the committee chairman - I guess they learned their lesson from bashing on George Mason two years ago.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 6:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment