Play-In Game Open Thread/Live Blog

Tuesday, March 18, 2008


I figured at least some of you would be around for tonight's play-in game, so I'm going with the OT/LB for tonight. Sure it's not called the play-in game anymore (they somehow are trying to call it the "Opening Round" game), but we all know what it is....

An excuse to check out Erin Andrews and make fun of Lavinburger! It's a clash of Maryland schools only 60 miles apart, one being 18-14, and the other is 16-20. Can it get more fun than this? I submit that it cannot! (Until Thursday)

Here's what you need to know....

Mount St. Mary's at Coppin State
7:30 PM ET, March 18, 2008 (ESPN)
University of Dayton Arena, Dayton, OH

MSM's Leaders: Chris Vann, G- 14.4 ppg, Markus Mitchell, F- 5.9 rpg, Jeremy Goode, G - 5.5 apg
CSC's Leaders: Tywain McKee, G- 16.6 ppg, Robert Pressey, F- 5.5 rpg, Tywain McKee, G- 3.1 apg
Spread: MSM -7
Over/Under: 126

See you around 7:30!
________________________________

Okay quick note. Rece Davis just classified a sleeper as a four seed or worse. How does that make sense? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!

Pregame Quotes:

"Am I the only one who thought the spread was "Mainstream Media -7"?" (Via Matt

"I appreciate the love you give to Brian Regan. It truly is awesome." (Via Anon)

The big yellow one is the Sun!!!!

"Just a few things I've noticed today:

1) I wish I would've DVR'ed Black Magic.
2) ESPN Radio's Jason Smith was on Jim Rome is Burning and he's borderline transparent.
3) I think Steve Lavin's luggage got lost, because on a 'Pregame Extra' on ESPNews, he was sans hair gel." (Via RJBO)

I wish I had the picture of Lav, Black Magic is amazing (more on that tomorrow), and Jason Smith is pretty good on the radio (very white on TV...much like yours truly).

Your other TV choices for the night: American Idol, Beauty and the Geek, Biggest Loser, NCIS, Dancing with the Stars, Big Brother, One Tree Hill

(You better watch this game with me)

"You don't love me you just love your Ear, Nose, and Throat Pavillion"- Steve Lavin (I might have messed that one up)

7:27- Okay everyone I'm going to be keeping me eyes on about 17 different Sporting Events tonight. Help me out as best as you can. Let's have some fun....Cheers!

Final Four Predictions:

Kara- UConn, MD, UNC, Tenn
Stacey- UConn, MD, LSU, Tenn

Oh crap....that was womens.

"Madness folks....wonderful March Madness."- Brent Musburger

Hahahahaha. Lavin's bag was seriously lost today. Whoever called that gets a free shirt. No hair products for Stevie!

"Hey AA before you went pro in Blogging what collegiate athletic did you play?" (Via GJFG)

I assume you mean what Sport? It done did Cross Country/Track....I was a runner. Not so glamorous but I got to run against the Big East regularly.

4-0 Coppin early.

Ohio State up 10 at halftime over King George and UNC Ash. I think I'd rather watch him play than these two teams.

Mike Miller banks in a three for Coppin followed by a three from MSM. Not that Mike Miller. Brent and Steve bring up EBAY for some reason, and Coppin is up 7 with 13 minutes to go.

"That's the blood jersey."- Erin Andrews
"You know Erin I have an NCAA cup I have to use too."- Brent Musburger

Here we go.

"So you need an NCAA patch to play in the game? As if we didn't know what we were watching...and I thought Disnergy was bad"- Sam

Hi Erin!



"I took MSM -7 what'd you take AA?" (Via Brett)

Sorry Brett....Coppin +7 too many points

"Really Lavin? U dare call one of these teams " A Well Oiled Machine" ? He must really miss his hair gel" (Via Marc)

Too funny. Steve and Brett go into a "Bow Tie" homage in reference to MSM's old Coach Jim Phelan. I had Phelan coach me at Navy Basketball Camp once and he was the best teacher I've ever met. Steve Lavin make a Bocce Ball joke and I die a little on the inside.

Steve Lavin and his hair products....The Video!



21-18 Coppin under 8 to go. And Lavin seriously needs to stop that "Beep Beep" every time a team goes on the break. Roy Williams is on the horn right as the game starts to pick up. Over/Under is set at a five minute call.

Good question by Brett asking if they break the tape down from both the 8/9 teams before the game.

"Roy, I know this is a tough question but how are the hot dogs, the popcorn and jujubes and hot tamales at the Baseball game tonight?"- Steve Lavin

Great question. Amazing play that Lavinburger didn't catch....Coppin player was dribbling over the half court line and lost possession. He boxed out every defender so another Eagle could pick up the ball. Great play.

Coppin up 29-22 with 4:30 to go....

"This game has a nice tempo to it."- Brent Musburger

Riiiiiight.

Brent Musburger is so confused with Basketball these days. Oh well....I used to hate him, but I can't get enough of him now. Halftime.....

34-33 Coppin State.

"Fang may have the pipes Erin, but you've got the tubes."- Anon

That's just not riiiiight.

"Today I'm in the workout room on the recombinant bike."- Steve Lavin

Didn't want to hear that. MSM has taken the lead.

"You think?"= Brent Musburger
"Really Lav? Shocker!"- Steve Lavin

These moments are priceless. Neither of these two will be on College broadcasts next year.

"You have been mounted!"- Steve Lavin and Brent Musburger in unison

44-42 MSM....I really have nothing to add at this point. One Tree Hill is on if you're bored (I'm going to flip back and forth). Steve Lavin then compares the Committee to Henry Miller's "12 Angry Men"...nice.

"How are Lavin and Brent supposed to carry on meaningless conversation with these kids playing basketball all over the place!"- Mal

It's gotta be tough.

"They need some protein bars."- Steve Lavin to the Coppin Band.

Picks:

Brent: UNC, Wisc, UCLA, Texas
Lavin:Lou, GTown, UCLA, Pitt
Erin: UNC, Kan, UCLA, Tex

"Erin is chalky."- Steve Lavin

Ewwww....

"I picked the winner the last two years!"- Erin Andrews
"You drank the Gator Kool Aid!!!"- Steve Lavin

"Erin Andrews and I have the same Final Four. Clearly we were meant for each other."- Wilmott

Yes you are.

54-51 under 8.

Lavin: "Interesting fact to share at your next cocktail party. Mount St. Mary's is actually close to Camp David". How many cocktails do you have to have, Steve, in order for that to be interesting? (Via Mal)

Seems like we won't get to see most of the 1st half of our Terp game AA. I am so sad... NOT. I still am taking them +3 versus any terrible B10 team. Oh wait that is every B10 team. (Via Brett)

I don't even want to think about that until this game is over.

"Do these teams know what set offenses are? I know I should show some more love to my home state (my high school graduation and prom was at MSM), but this game looks at times like they picked 5 guys out of the crowd to play." (Via Anon)

Well if one is from you home state I think both are.

60-55 MSM with 3:11 left....

We're nearing the end of our foray into the "Play On" game and if you're expecting me to talk about Maryland then you're sadly mistaken.

"Maryland is winning 1-0 with a minute gone by...GET TO THAT GAME QUICK ESPN!!" (Via Marc)

Hahahaha. 46 secs left.....4 point game.

"Coppin has been mounted."- Steve Lavin

Well there you have it. Your Final is MSM 69- CSC 60. Good times had by all. I'm moving on to the MD-Minn game and drinking away my sorrows in N.I.T. land. Cheers!

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 4:18 PM

91 Comments:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/13289--Projecting_the_Field_of_65_Committee_Nails_It_

This is an interesting read. Go about 2/3 of the way down. It talks about how Mt. St. Mary's might have got jobbed because the NCAA didn't want two historically black colleges in the play-in game.

J.J. said...
Mar 18, 2008, 5:11:00 PM  

Am I the only one who thought the spread was "Mainstream Media -7"?

Also, am I the only one to pick "MSM / Coppin St." in my bracket because it doubles my chances while everybody else picks just one winner?

Matt said...
Mar 18, 2008, 5:38:00 PM  

I appreciate the love you give to Brian Regan. It truly is awesome.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 5:40:00 PM  

I can't cry a river for Mt. St. Mary's. Sorry, j.j.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 5:49:00 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 6:02:00 PM  

Just a few things I've noticed today:

1) I wish I would've DVR'ed Black Magic.
2) ESPN Radio's Jason Smith was on Jim Rome is Burning and he's borderline transparent.
3) I think Steve Lavin's luggage got lost, because on a 'Pregame Extra' on ESPNews, he was sans hair gel.

Mar 18, 2008, 6:03:00 PM  

"Sorry, MSM. You're better than Mississippi Valley State and you deserve to play in the REAL tournament. But we don't want some crackpot to say we're racist. So too bad."

I have no allegiance to MSM, but that is flat-out wrong.

J.J. said...
Mar 18, 2008, 6:17:00 PM  

Ha Matt....I think that spread would be in the UNC/Play-in range of -33.

Mar 18, 2008, 6:19:00 PM  

if you can't wait until 7:30 for erin andrews, she did an interview on sr950.com today and addresses the bruce pearl hug.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 7:06:00 PM  

Hey AA before you went pro in Blogging what collegiate athletic did you play?

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 7:36:00 PM  

GusJ- I believe he was the Captain of the Competitive Keyboarding Club..who the hell cares....BTW- AA came up with the phrase for Mt ST Mary " THE MOUNT "...look it up

StatueLeft said...
Mar 18, 2008, 7:40:00 PM  

What collegiate athletic? Did Emmitt Smith invade the comments section?

Sam said...
Mar 18, 2008, 7:41:00 PM  

So you need an NCAA patch to play in the game? As if we didn't know what we were watching...and I thought Disnergy was bad

Sam said...
Mar 18, 2008, 7:49:00 PM  

You know what i never understood..How these teams are chosen for the Play In / Opening Round / Play Out game.

do you hear the crowd? they are even pissed to be watching this. Coppin State vs Mt St Marys in Dayton OHIO. WOW.. a real draw..

why dont they change these games to more exciting games with better teams. Cop State has 20 losses!

imagine how much better this would be if it were Arizona State vs Virginia Tech.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 7:49:00 PM  

Hahahahaha. Lavin's bag was seriously lost today. Whoever called that gets a free shirt.

I called it, but I cheated ('cause I saw him on ESPNews earlier). Send it to the dude sitting next to Jason Smith on Jim Rome is Burning in 'The Forum.' I could've sworn it was Goat Boy (but it turns out to be someone named Matt 'Money' Smith).

Mar 18, 2008, 7:51:00 PM  

Really Lavin?

u dare call one of these teams " A Well Oiled Machine" ? He must really miss his hair gel

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 7:52:00 PM  

I took MSM -7 what'd you take AA?

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 7:55:00 PM  

Wow, thanks for the link to the site, what a disaster that ended up being. I'm actually (as of today) helping out Extra P and OMDQ over at Bus Leagues, their minor league baseball site.
/cheap plug

Sam said...
Mar 18, 2008, 7:59:00 PM  

HAHA... Look at the guy over Erin's left shoulder.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:01:00 PM  

that guy spent money on making that shirt " UNC youre next"...at a kinkos...guaranteed

StatueLeft said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:06:00 PM  

I always love the Enterprise commercial. Why is the female soccer player acting like Horshack? The teacher's not even looking at her!

J.J. said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:07:00 PM  

11 points in the last 8 minutes total, Yikes! Both teams are ready for UNC.

Feel sorry for anybody that is agonizing with the over right now. Still on track though.

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:07:00 PM  

Good thing they called Roy Williams instead of telling us what was going on. They missed the one exciting play so far!

Sam said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:09:00 PM  

I'm surprised Brent didn't call Roy "the Pete Carroll of basketball coaches"

J.J. said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:11:00 PM  

" This game has a nice tempo to it " Following 3 plays.. Turnover, Bricked 3, Foul, TV Timeout.

Yes Brent. I cant keep up with this.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:13:00 PM  

On the tube opposite the MSM vs CSU game some skunk haired girl just tried to sing Back in the USSR, ugh.

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:15:00 PM  

I don't think we're breaking any commenting records, but thanks for helping me out tonight folks.

Mar 18, 2008, 8:15:00 PM  

Brett....I will disown you if you continue to watch Idol

I'm just saying.

Mar 18, 2008, 8:16:00 PM  

Is it COppin State or KAppin State?

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:16:00 PM  

Don't worry AA it's set for "23 in a Row" in an hour and 15 minutes. With three tv's one can always handle some trash reality tv.

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:17:00 PM  

Not gonna lie an exciting first half. I mean 77 points and all, pretty nifty.

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:19:00 PM  

That last posession completely sums up the play-in game: "the mount" blew their shot at taking the lead by missing a layup. Ugly first half

Sam said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:20:00 PM  

Fang may have the pipes Erin, but you've got the tubes.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:20:00 PM  

Beatle week on Idol.

I HATE MICHAEL JACKSON

J.J. said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:23:00 PM  

Was that Bill Cosby being interviewed?

StatueLeft said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:24:00 PM  

At least I can watch the Nuggets and Pistons...and the resurgence of Jarvis Hayes!
A non-related NBA gem on Pistons radio by Rick Mahorn about the Nuggets: "After scoring 168 points, it looks like they really shot their wad."

Mar 18, 2008, 8:28:00 PM  

Obviously I can add 67, still a entertaining half for me at least. Sloppy, yet entertaining, aka Tenn vs Memphis

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:28:00 PM  

No. Hillman College lost in the MEAC semis

/obscure A Different World references

J.J. said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:29:00 PM  

Band!

Coppin St- 45

MSM - 26


Oh, college basketball.

TJX said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:37:00 PM  

Not funny JJ, but 80s references will always get me.

Mar 18, 2008, 8:38:00 PM  

All of this hardwood talk from Erin....and now she just mentioned nail and "he shook me off".

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:41:00 PM  

Nice little run to start the half by MSM.

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:42:00 PM  

Lavin with that Mountaineers shriek....what the heck?

P.S: I've got Mt. St Marys to indeed upset Coppin State by 20.

TJX said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:43:00 PM  

Lavin sucking up to Musberger on his call on a nat'l championship game from 1987.....and now they're having a discussion.

Can we just file this one under comedy?

TJX said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:46:00 PM  

"It'll be a foot longer for these players" - BM

TJX said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:48:00 PM  

You have been mounted!
not going to touch that one

oh and play-on game instead of play-in game? Lame, Brent.

Sam said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:52:00 PM  

I was just looking at the women's tournament info on the Bottom Line. Geez. ESPN even gives Duke the cushy primetime spot in the women's tournament!

J.J. said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:53:00 PM  

Am I all alone?


UNC Asheville 66 Ohio State HOLY BUCKEYE 84

TJX said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:53:00 PM  

Brent needs to go to that retirement home where Emmitt Smith was in the Just For Men's commercial.

TJX said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:54:00 PM  

How are Lavin and Brent supposed to carry on meaningless conversation with these kids playing basketball all over the place!

Mal said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:00:00 PM  

Watching this game I have to wonder: Which of these teams is from the Big Ten?

Mal said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:05:00 PM  

Once again: Duke beat Wisconsin by 24

Sam said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:09:00 PM  

and Lavin was just way too excited to toss it down to EA

Sam said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:11:00 PM  

Erin Andrews and I have the same Final Four. Clearly we were meant for each other.

Willmott said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:12:00 PM  

Lavin: "Interesting fact to share at your next cocktail party. Mount St. Mary's is actually close to Camp David". How many cocktails do you have to have, Steve, in order for that to be interesting?

Mal said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:16:00 PM  

Sam, Arizona State swept Arizona. What's your point?

J.J. said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:17:00 PM  

If by "chalky" you mean jaw-dropping hotness, then, yes she is the most chalky babe around.

Mal said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:18:00 PM  

Seems like we won't get to see most of the 1st half of our Terp game AA. I am so sad... NOT. I still am taking them +3 versus any terrible B10 team. Oh wait that is every B10 team.

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:20:00 PM  

jj: I think Arizona St. got robbed, too. The point is, people keep stating that Wisconsin deserved to be ranked over Duke without looking at the result on the floor.

Sam said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:21:00 PM  

This is spread is going to be right on the money.

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:26:00 PM  

Do these teams know what set offenses are? I know I should show some more love to my home state (my high school graduation and prom was at MSM), but this game looks at times like they picked 5 guys out of the crowd to play.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:26:00 PM  

Anybody else dislike the high cameras that Dayton's arena and others have like Gallagher-Iba for OK State? It's tough for depth perception in my mind.

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:27:00 PM  

"banana peel specials"? I think I like the term "cinderella" better, Lavin.

Mal said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:27:00 PM  

" There is a foul and he'll go to the free throw line ::pause:: going the other way. Traveling called " - Brent

My head just exploded

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:30:00 PM  

" Mount St Mary's staying alive down the sretch. You know how big that is Lav " - Brent

Yes Lav. Dont you know how big it is to not be losing at the end of the game?

AHHHH!! HELP ME!!

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:31:00 PM  

wait...dide Musberger really just say "the Play-On-Game"?

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:34:00 PM  

yeah he's been using that line all game

Sam said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:35:00 PM  

It is almost like Brent Musberger is not watching the game about half the time.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:36:00 PM  

This is going to get close for my $10 on MSM. GL AA.

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:36:00 PM  

AA, personally I feel better watching the Terps in that little box on the right hand corner of the screen instead of the whole HD feed.

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:37:00 PM  

Maryland is winning 1-0 with a minute gone by...

GET TO THAT GAME QUICK ESPN!!

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:38:00 PM  

Your other TV choices for the night: American Idol, Beauty and the Geek, Biggest Loser, NCIS, Dancing with the Stars, Big Brother, One Tree Hill ROCKETS - CELTICS ON TNT

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:39:00 PM  

That's some chunky thighs on that MSM cheerleader. That is NOT what elite college athletics is all about.

Mal said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:40:00 PM  

This could be an amazing cover by MSM, COULD BE

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:42:00 PM  

Never in doubt. Sorry AA. Your CSU could only do so much.

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:44:00 PM  

Mount the Coppin? Is that what Lav just said?

Joe Momma said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:45:00 PM  

"Mt. Saint Mary's 1st ever NCAA Tournament victory" ..lol bs- no one considers this to be an NCAA Tourney game, more like just an exhibition

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:46:00 PM  

Good night, AA. Get some help no need to watch crap basketball on ESPN. Or just turn on TNT.

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:47:00 PM  

can we still comment on things NIT?

Syracuse is having trouble with Robert Morris.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:47:00 PM  

Suffice to say that on the play-in game:
Lavinburger > Mike Tirico & Len Elmore

BTW, I still was baffled by the love the Nuggets were getting over scoring 168 against Seattle: 134 points allowed Denver? Against the Pistons?

Mar 18, 2008, 9:49:00 PM  

@ marc: I get the feeling that in an Open Thread, anything goes.

So, how about Virginia in that CBI, eh?

Willmott said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:52:00 PM  

what's the deal with the celtics uni's tonight?

Sam said...
Mar 18, 2008, 9:55:00 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mar 18, 2008, 10:01:00 PM  

Wilmott: Lucky you. My Final Four picks are the same as Musberger's, which makes me think I should change them immediately.

On the other hand, seeing Lavin take three Big East teams makes me feel a lot better about my decision not to pick any of those three to the Sweet 16.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 10:06:00 PM  

I can't watch this shit. None of them even care. This is painful....how many rebounds is Minnesota going to pull down?

FUCK!

Mar 18, 2008, 10:09:00 PM  

I didn't even realize the Celtics-Rockets game was on TNT.

@sam:
Those were the unis they wore for St. Patrick's Day yesterday in San Antonio. Still better than the Knicks , Bulls & Raptors wearing green jerseys.

Mar 18, 2008, 10:14:00 PM  

A win. No collapse. Yippy! I would actually really like to beat 'Cuse. I am kind of excited to watch that game.

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 11:34:00 PM  

And good night Houston. Down 16 to Boston = DONE.

Brett said...
Mar 18, 2008, 11:34:00 PM  

Finally a well played game Brett.....I'm looking forward to Cuse.

Mar 18, 2008, 11:45:00 PM  

From the ASU-ASU game (I know you like what I did there), but it must be mentioned:

Steven Bardo: after a steal "Ali Baba and the 40 thieves in the backcourt!"

Willmott said...
Mar 19, 2008, 12:49:00 AM  

Oh yeah, AA - no NCAA/NIT Pammies?

Willmott said...
Mar 19, 2008, 12:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment