MSM Now Fed Up With Lavinburger Too

Tuesday, March 11, 2008


When I put that post up yesterday I really didn't think I'd get the strong aversion to the duo that I did. I have a personal vendetta against Brent Musburger that I've had since I was a kid, so I always think I'm a little too critical of the guy. Well it turns out you agreed and the team's calls are just comical these days.

Well folks, we're not the only ones fed up with Lavinburger. New York Daily News' Bob Raissman seems to agree with your assessment.....

If anyone involved from ABC has trouble swallowing this theory, they should look in the mirror. When a coach is assigned to work a game involving his former team there will always be - at least - a perception of conflict. Anyone saying Lavin ignored the Shipp thing because he's still carrying UCLA pom-poms has every right to do so.

Of course this would not explain why Musburger did not question the shot. It also doesn't explain why the producer did not tell the announcers to explain the rule.

Nonetheless, Lavin should not have worked that game. And with the NCAA Tournament around the corner, CBS should scan its roster and avoid using announcers tied to a particular school as part of the broadcast team for that school's tilt.
That's an interesting thought, but I think some people can pull it off. ESPN pulled Kirk Herbstreit from the radio broadcast of the OSU-LSU game last year for the same reason, but I think he does a rather good job when covering his old team. Sure there's the photo of him on the sidelines jumping, but he wasn't working at the time.

Everyone has favorite teams and most do a great and unbiased job covering them, but there are a few people that just need to be nixed from every broadcast, regardless of their affiliation. Off the top of my head.....Mike Patrick and Jay Bilas: Duke, Dick Vitale: Any ACC game, and Brent Musburger: Any game that takes place in Los Angeles.

Update: This is where I wish I had that "after the jump" feature still, but you'll have to bear with me. MDS at Fanhouse has a great call on Lavin. He didn't even get the "picket fence" play right! Merle not Jimmy took the shot. Enjoy and try not to get goosebumps..."Time! Timmme!"



Former UCLA coach misses best angle (NY Daily News)
Brent Musberger, Steve Lavin Ripped for Commentary on UCLA-Cal Ending (Fanhouse)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 10:24 AM

10 Comments:

I can listen to Lavinburger for two reasons.

1. I know that I'll hear completely insane and ridiculous comments that usually have no bearing related to basketball (not unlike Jeff Van Gundy)

2. ERIN ANDREWS is usually involved with the game coverage.

Anonymous said...
Mar 11, 2008, 10:46:00 AM  

I'm in the same boat Anon. I know they aren't going to talk about Basketball, so I prepare myself for the shitshow and try to enjoy.

Mar 11, 2008, 10:49:00 AM  

Remember that we're talking about the same network that let Bob Griese do his son's Rose Bowl.

"It's okay. (You can cry)."

J.J. said...
Mar 11, 2008, 11:34:00 AM  

Musberger sucks but I think Lavin is really good. I don't care what you all say!

GMoney said...
Mar 11, 2008, 11:35:00 AM  

When Musberger went crying to ABC about his getting fired from CBS, what little respect I had for him(which had been dwindling for quite some time) completely went away. Add to that his very annoying penchant for bandwagon jumping(and jumping off mid-game), and I find him only slightly less annoying than a case of jock itch.

UnHoly Diver said...
Mar 11, 2008, 12:41:00 PM  

The problem I've had with Musberger, going back to my childhood, is that he has a gleeful/rub it in your face/pour salt in your wound thing. I think it's why so many people hate him.

Grew up in Ann Arbor, totally brain-washed Wolverine. So when another team does something against my boys, the last thing I want to hear is over-effusive, never-ending praise. And it's more a tone thing than anything else.

But the longer I've been on the planet, the more I realized it's just his style. He doesn't "hate my team" he's just doing his schtick. It's just that I hate his schtick (combined with my childhood of building up a feeling that he was biased.)

jer said...
Mar 11, 2008, 12:43:00 PM  

the lsu-osu game was this year, not last.

Anonymous said...
Mar 11, 2008, 1:37:00 PM  

"I have a personal vendetta against Brent Musburger that I've had since I was a kid, so I always think I'm a little too critical of the guy."

ME TOO! Ever since he called the Yankees-Mariners ALDS in 1995 (I was 8) I've HATED him. He sucks and stinks and sucks.

Anonymous said...
Mar 11, 2008, 1:44:00 PM  

Last year = Last season on this site.

Mar 11, 2008, 2:06:00 PM  

"Dick Vitale: Any ACC game..."

Au contraire. Dickie V should work ONLY ACC games if he loves it that much.

Morgan Wick said...
Mar 12, 2008, 2:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment