ESPN News In HD Is Going To Look Snazzy

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

No I'm not talking about the picture on your television, but rather the images and graphics that ESPN is adding to the program when they debut it March 30th. From Fanhouse via ESPN...


One notable innovation in the 16x9 HD delivery of ESPNEWS is the "HD Sideline" graphic. This latest incarnation of the traditional "BottomLine" will now wrap around the top, left and bottom of the screen for HD viewers. This will allow for additional real-time information – news, scores, stats, headshots, standings, and more – to be imparted, while still delivering 16x9 HD video in the remaining space. The familiar "BottomLine" on ESPNEWS' standard definition presentation has also been redesigned to convey additional text, headshots and graphics. It will continue to reside at the bottom edge of the screen.
For some reason I've always enjoyed ESPN News. Sure the anchors seem like they're trying out to make the Sports Center roster but it's the only place where you can get actual Sports News on ESPN anymore without interruptions (for the most part).

When I first looked at the graphic on the side I thought that it would be pretty intrusive to the rest of the screen, but one of the main reasons I go to ESPN News is to find out current scores. I guess they mind as well throw the little helmet and stats up there too. This is perfect for an HD snob like myself.

This Is What ESPNews Will Look Like in HD (Fanhouse)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 10:38 AM

16 Comments:

I just hope that they stick with the "Breaking News" box for a story that is 12 hours old...always a favorite of mine.

GMoney said...
Mar 18, 2008, 10:48:00 AM  

They used the "breaking news" box for Billy Crystal's at bat.

But seriously, do we really need ESPNews in HD? I think I can do without live high-definition coverage of a Joe Girardi press conference.

J.J. said...
Mar 18, 2008, 11:05:00 AM  

Damn...you might be right you two. Oh well. I guess it doesn't hurt.

Mar 18, 2008, 11:08:00 AM  

We will need ESPNews in HD when every channel is in HD.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 11:45:00 AM  

(sigh) It's not that "every channel will be in HD". This is a big pet peeve of mine.

Morgan Wick said...
Mar 18, 2008, 11:51:00 AM  

OK, I'll get AA's back here -- ESPNNEWS in HD looks really cool. As the most sanitized of the ESPN stations left, this is a great improvement to it visually. I look forward to watching this when my cable company picks it up in 2024.

/nautzua

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 11:55:00 AM  

This is a great improvement. Anyone who is complaining obviously doesn't have HD or doesn't know how awesome Hd is.

Mar 18, 2008, 12:23:00 PM  

paco- you must be a Comcast slave, er, I mean customer.

UnHoly Diver said...
Mar 18, 2008, 12:46:00 PM  

@bruce:

Actually, no, but does it matter? The irony is that everyone read that post and said, "That's my cable company."

/vnjuxxn

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 1:44:00 PM  

engadgethd.com posted about this a week or so ago.

i'm not giving aa or fanhouse a hard time or being behind the curve, i'm just letting people know about a really good HD-related blog.

-dan

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 5:07:00 PM  

I knew about it last week, but I didn't really think it was post worthy until I saw the finished product.

Engadgethd.com is awesome Dan...I didn't know they had a separate site.

Mar 18, 2008, 5:13:00 PM  

MMMMM...Cindy Brunson in HD. :)

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 7:05:00 PM  

Haha...that actually made me spittake my drink. Thank you for that.

Mar 18, 2008, 7:07:00 PM  

just saw a commercial, espnews HD starts 05/30 at 8a (est)

-dan

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 8:37:00 PM  

It's actually 03/30

Unknown said...
Mar 27, 2008, 1:15:00 AM  

It's official, ESPNews HD is sweet.

Anonymous said...
May 8, 2008, 11:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment