Stephen A. Smith Fires Back At Inquirer After Firing

Tuesday, February 05, 2008


After being let go a few weeks ago Stephen A. Smith was oddly quiet about the whole thing. Well it seems that he just needed to talk to his lawyers first. Here's the statement released by his attorney Willie E. Gary....

"I put my life and all that I have into the Philadelphia Inquirer first as a reporter and then as a general columnist. I was raised to work hard and play by the rules. That is what I have done. I've worked hard and earned every single promotion and accolade that I received while at the Inquirer.

"No one did me any favors or gave me anything, nor did I expect them to. What's fair is fair and what's right is right. What they have done to me is malicious, intentional and vindictive. They want to ruin my reputation and all of the hard work that I have done over the years.

"I have never abandoned a job in my whole life. I wasn't raised that way. The Inquirer forced me out and smeared my name and credibility.

"My family always said that your name is all that you have, and they have tried to destroy it."
I really don't think there's a winner in this whole thing, and both parties have acted kind of childish. If Smith can't damage his own reputation after years of yelling on screen, I don't think getting fired from a newspaper is really going to hurt him.

Commentator Calls Newspaper Malicious, Vindictive (Maynard)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 1:04 PM

10 Comments:

The lawyer just had to wait for his shipment from Acme to arrive. Oh, that's Wile E. Coyote...

Anonymous said...
Feb 5, 2008, 1:57:00 PM  

MAYBE THE LAWYER'S CAPS LOCK KEY WAS BROKEN

Anonymous said...
Feb 5, 2008, 1:58:00 PM  

Does anyone think they guy actually has any real insight into sports anymore? Isn't that what being a columnist is all about? If not that, then at least some kind of objective reporting is required. SAS doesn't do this either, he can't tell you the time without figuring out a way to use big words and spin something.

as for this:
"I put my life and all that I have into the Philadelphia Inquirer first as a reporter and then as a general columnist. "

I think that all went out the window when he sent his column on a blackberry, nothing says "i'm putting my life into this" like writing a story on your phone while you are taking a sh*t at a starbucks 2000 miles away from phili.

http://thebigeleventh.blogspot.com/

TheFolkist said...
Feb 5, 2008, 2:14:00 PM  

"General columnist"? Is that anything like General Tso Chicken?

Rick Rottman said...
Feb 5, 2008, 2:42:00 PM  

"What they have done to me is malicious, intentional and vindictive."

Are you sure that his lawyer isn't Jackie Chiles?

GMoney said...
Feb 5, 2008, 3:44:00 PM  

Scott van Pelt is more credible as SAS than SAS actually is.

UnHoly Diver said...
Feb 5, 2008, 3:54:00 PM  

Who told Stephen A. to put the balm on?

Mal said...
Feb 5, 2008, 4:16:00 PM  

GMoney, if it wasn't Jackie Chiles, it was Don King.

Kyle said...
Feb 5, 2008, 4:30:00 PM  

It's outrageous, egregious... preposterous!

Anonymous said...
Feb 5, 2008, 5:27:00 PM  

QUITE FRANKLY, I CAN NO LONGER AFFORD 40 POUND BAGS OF CHEESE DOODLES!!!!

Anonymous said...
Feb 5, 2008, 8:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment