Michael Wilbon Talks Heart Attacks And Well Wishers

Friday, February 01, 2008


Michael Wilbon has penned his first column since suffering a mild heart attack earlier in the week and he seems to be in pretty good spirits. Here's the story from him....

I landed in Phoenix late Sunday night, drove to my home-away-from-D.C.-home in Scottsdale, looked at some e-mail, and went to bed at 1:30. At 3:15 a heavy pain in my left arm and on the left side of my chest woke me. I thought it was indigestion, and started drinking water, but the pain persisted. Took some Advil. The pain got worse. Tried to go back to bed, but it became unbearable.

But two things left me speechless and of a mind to reevaluate a lot of stuff. The phone rang while I was in my hospital bed Monday night and the voice on the other end said: “This is Jeff George. I was calling to tell you I’m thinking of you and praying for you.” Yep, Jeff George. No. 3 in your program. For years and years, especially during his brief time in D.C., I was pointedly critical of George. I’m sure some of it was over the top and unnecessary. Yet he was big enough to put that aside and call with get-well wishes. He told me about his father having a heart attack when he was about my age, 49, about lifestyle changes and how families respond with support.
It's tough when reality and life and death come into Sports because most people use it for an escape. Hell why do you think I watch so many games? I'm just glad Wilbon is okay, so I can go back to being critical of him and maybe one day he can call me. Unlikely, but I'd like to think it's possible.

A Life-Changing Turn of Events (Washington Post)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 11:21 AM

4 Comments:

HE'S A MAN, HE'S 49!!!!

E Buzz said...
Feb 1, 2008, 11:57:00 AM  

My father died of a heart attack(his fourth in 10 years) at the age of 50, so I can understand where Wilbon is coming from.

UnHoly Diver said...
Feb 1, 2008, 1:35:00 PM  

Your personal life must be pretty tortuous, eh?

Anonymous said...
Feb 1, 2008, 1:51:00 PM  

Seriously, a Jeff George reference!!!

GMoney said...
Feb 1, 2008, 3:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment