A Good Number Of People Watched The Daytona 500 Last Sunday

Thursday, February 21, 2008


I'm probably a little late on this, but there's nothing really going on until the combine gets going (NBA trade deadline...psshaw). I'm honestly trying to get back into NASCAR after 2 years off and this past Sunday's Daytona 500 was a great place to start. Apparently I wasn't the only one watching....

Nielsen said 33.5 million Americans watched at least part of The Great American Race, a 2 percent improvement over 2007's 33.0 million. And this year's numbers also marked the first time that the Daytona 500 has earned a higher rating than the prime-time NFL package, with NBC averaging 10.0/16 on Sunday Night Football during the past season.

Looking at other top Winter/Spring events, the Daytona 500 also posted a higher rating than the most recent NCAA Final Four on CBS (9.9/18), final round of The Masters (9.1/22 on CBS) and Kentucky Derby (8.8/21 on NBC).
It just blows my mind how that many people can watch car racing. Just amazing. I know it's not for everybody, but I think if you have HD and surround sound you should at least turn in for a bit.

FOX's Daytona coverage up versus a year ago (FOX Sports)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 9:54 AM

5 Comments:

The camera work was simply stunning.

I'm more an F1 guy, NASCAR is so bland, but damn those camera angles were sick.

You wanna talk about awful announcing, NASCAR has it in spades. I can't tell one moron hillbilly form another.

NASCAR used to have serious professionals doing the races, Ned Jarrett, Ken Squier, David Hobbs, Benny Parsons, I think even Jackie Stewart...not once did I ever hear "Lordamighty, DeeDubya my hearts juss jumpin outta my chess raht nah!"

God they suck and they don't know when to shut the fuck up.

E Buzz said...
Feb 21, 2008, 10:24:00 AM  

I HATE Nascar- I always got bored of watching a race in the past after watching for only like 5 seconds. Watching 466 laps in a row isn't my idea of exciting tv

Mark B said...
Feb 21, 2008, 10:32:00 AM  

I always watch the 500..and I immediately regret it. It is way too fucking boring and the announcers use more dumb country hick metaphors than Jim Ross.

GMoney said...
Feb 21, 2008, 10:55:00 AM  

Darrell Waltrip does the races drunk or he hit his head too many times as a driver, he sounds like a complete idiot.

Larry McReynolds isnt much better, the fact that Earnhardt Sr won even one race with this guy as crew chief makes him the greatest driver in any form of racing.

The Gopher Cam was good, from the post last week it sounded like the cameras were actually placed in the track. But they were in the grass and gave a new angle to see the race.

Benny Parsons underwent cancer treatment a few years ago, I dont know the outcome, but I did like his commentary.

Anonymous said...
Feb 21, 2008, 10:02:00 PM  

Benny Parsons died last year

Anonymous said...
Feb 22, 2008, 7:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment