Bill Simmons Is Selling His "Unlucky" Moss Jersey On Ebay

Tuesday, February 05, 2008


If you are in the market for a away white New England Patriots jersey worn once by a writer for ESPN, then do I have the auction for you. Bill Simmons apparently forgot his lucky Wes Welker jersey and had to purchase a Randy Moss one and you know how the game turned out.

Obviously Bill is heart-broken and has put this jersey spawned by Satan for auction on Ebay....

My name is Bill Simmons and I write the "Sports Guy" column for ESPN.com and ESPN The Magazine. As I described in my post-Super Bowl column, I forgot to bring my lucky Wes Welker jersey to Arizona for the Pats-Giants game, so I ended up spending $85 on a white replica XL Randy Moss No. 81 jersey at one of the merchandise stands inside the stadium to represent my beloved Pats because so many fans were wearing jerseys at the game. Why Moss? Because it was the last Pats jersey they had available.

You know the rest: The Giants ended up pulling off one of the great upsets in sports history, and as I wrote in that post-game column, "You can currently find that jersey sitting at the bottom of the garbage can in my hotel room. I might take it home and burn it. I haven't decided yet."

After we posted the column, a number of readers e-mailed asking if they could have the jersey instead of me burning it or throwing it away. That's when I decided that there was a way this Moss jersey - this evil, unlucky, possibly-possessed- by-the-devil jersey that I never want to see again -- could actually do some good. I'm putting it up for auction, and instead of the money going to me, I'm going to have the winner of the auction donate the winning bid to The Jimmy Fund. I will pay for shipping and handling of the jersey. If you win the bid, we'll connect by e-mail, and then, you'll donate that money to the Jimmy Fund online and forward me a receipt of that donation. Once I see the receipt, I will send the jersey along.
Well at least he's doing it for charity so that's good. I put my bid of $6.78 but the thin is magically already at $350 (and it has 9 days left!). Oh and if you win the auction you also get a signed copy of the book he wrote as well. Unless Bill is going to show up at my house to do chores and/or the jersey has visible tears on it....I'm going to pass.

Bill Simmons' Randy Moss Jersey (Ebay)

11 Comments:

I don't know which is more entertaining -- that he felt the need to explain why he bought a Moss jersey (unclean! unclean!) or that it was the last one left...

Anonymous said...
Feb 5, 2008, 9:58:00 PM  

Ugh. Why would anyone want this? Dude sweats Summer's Eve. I'd rather cut out the middleman and give to the Jimmy Fund directly so he can West Virginia that jersey like he'd really want to.

Anonymous said...
Feb 5, 2008, 10:12:00 PM  

Which ESPN executive raised the bid? Reminds me of the episode of Cheers where Sam Malone donated his Red Sox jersey to a charity auction and nobody bid on it.

Anonymous said...
Feb 5, 2008, 11:13:00 PM  

18-1 !!! 18-1 !!!

Feb 5, 2008, 11:29:00 PM  

i hope his dad had the worst night of his whole damn life.

Anonymous said...
Feb 5, 2008, 11:59:00 PM  

Anybody read his Pre-Superbowl Predictions?

Hey, at least he did one thing right, the Giants DID score 17 pts!

The Pats, not quite 42...

AHAHAHAHAHHA

Choke on it Bill. Maybe if the Celts lose in the first round I could read your columns without wanting to take up KSK and break your hands.

Anonymous said...
Feb 6, 2008, 3:45:00 AM  

Threadjack! You know, this post got me to thinking: who are the most hated/disliked guys among sports bloggers and their commentors? My list:

1.) Schrutebag

2.) Simmons

3.) Stephen A.

4.) Joe Morgan

5.) Joe Buck

Anyone?

Anonymous said...
Feb 6, 2008, 7:28:00 AM  

He probably is just doing this so he can write a column on it.

Kevin Hayward said...
Feb 6, 2008, 9:35:00 AM  

does the winning bidder also get to kick him in the nuts and give the sportsgal a cincinnati bow tie? if so, i'll bid.

hey jd, i read the predictions...i'm still waiting (hoping) he jumps off that building. jump pud jump.

PM, you have to move chowd to #1. that nasally voice puts it over the top for me. he definitely has a voice for the internet.

-dan

Anonymous said...
Feb 6, 2008, 9:36:00 AM  

I hope the winning bid is $1714. That would be fantastic.

GMoney said...
Feb 6, 2008, 11:02:00 AM  

Here's the thing about the Patriots loss....some people get a kick out of how Simmons was crushed from it, but just check out Page 2 to see how Gregg Easterbrook is reveling in 'good triumphing over evil.'

No matter how much you hate Simmons, Bill on his worst day is still miles better than TMQ.

Anonymous said...
Feb 6, 2008, 5:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment