10 Year Since His Death, Harry Caray Still Timeless

Monday, February 18, 2008

I missed this item when it came out on Friday, but if you're in the Chicagoland area and you're near a TV....turn it to Comcast. Today is the 10th Anniversary of Harry Caray's passing and while it's sad to think that the loveable announcer is still gone, it's a great move by Comcast to air an entire day of programming on him...

To honor Harry Caray 10 years after his passing, Comcast SportsNet will be devoting nearly 12 hours of programming to the legendary baseball broadcaster Monday.

Starting at 11 a.m. with the 2007 documentary "Hello Again, Everybody: The Harry Caray Story," the daylong tribute will include rebroadcasts of three classic Cubs games and other highlights of his career.

At 7 p.m., an all-new special, "Holy Cow: Remembering Harry," will premiere. Some live programming will originate from Harry Caray's Restaurant, 33 W. Kinzie.
I wish it was on WGN so I could check it out, but alas...no such luck. I spent countless days of my youth watching the Cubs getting blown out just to hear what Harry was going to say next. In memory of Mr. Caray this is my personal favorite YouTube clip from him....damn Crackerjacks and their gimmicks!


"That's the most asinine marketing I've ever heard of." - HC

Wild about Harry (Chicago Sun-Times)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 1:10 PM

8 Comments:

In his later days, it wasn't officially a Harry Caray broadcast until you got to hear him attempt to say "Amaury Telemaco".

Good times. Thanks for the post.

Unknown said...
Feb 18, 2008, 2:04:00 PM  

My favorite line from John Camponera's impression of Harry- "Hey! Look at the kid in the sombrero!"

I prefer to remember the Harry Caray from his days with the Cardinals, though. I spent many a summer night in my teens listening to(or trying to on a lot of nights) Harry and Jack Buck.

UnHoly Diver said...
Feb 18, 2008, 2:12:00 PM  

A couple of years ago on a Cubs radio game, I heard Ron Santo go off on a long tangent about him getting some frozen yogurt in the Cubs clubhouse. Pat Hughes was absolutely losing it and it was truly the funniest thing I ever heard on a Cubs broadcast. I was driving somewhere and I had to pull over because I was laughing so hard.

Anonymous said...
Feb 18, 2008, 6:42:00 PM  

I really miss the old days when you could go to work really, really plastered.

Anonymous said...
Feb 18, 2008, 9:18:00 PM  

My favorite ballpark moment ever was when I sat directly underneath the WSNS-TV broadcast booth while Harry was doing the Sox game.

On occasion, he would use his famous net to drop a brew or two down to the fans. I was wearing a Notre Dame hat, so he sent me down a Tall Boy!

Harry, Jimmy Piersall, Nancy Faust. Oh, and Jim Durham did the studio pre-game show!

I knew it was special then, but boy, what I wouldn't give to have a moment or two with Harry and Jimmy talking about Piersall's sanity "papers."

Unknown said...
Feb 18, 2008, 10:11:00 PM  

Shawon Dunshton...

The pitssch.

E Buzz said...
Feb 19, 2008, 8:45:00 AM  

Mark Grudzielanek = Mark Grudzellneeak.

GMoney said...
Feb 19, 2008, 10:01:00 AM  

I can receive CSN Chicago through the DirecTV Sports Pak channel 640. Unfortunately, the games were blacked out in my area by Major League Baseball. I never knew that MLB won't let us watch old games, either.<:(

I missed the live special and hope that it did air.

Anonymous said...
Feb 21, 2008, 1:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment