Bloggers And Forbes Magazine Greatly Differ When Picking Influential Sportscasters

Tuesday, January 29, 2008


A good number of blogs were recently asked by Sports Media Challenge (an arm of Sports Business Daily) to give a list of the most influential, respected, and trusted Sportscasters for a client wanting to narrow their list down. At the time we were unaware of who they were compiling this for, but it turned out to be Forbes Magazine.

The magazine (from what I can gather) basically asked 4 different sects for their opinions and this is their list....

1. John Madden
2. Chris Berman
3. Jim Nantz
3. Troy Aikman
5. Terry Bradshaw
6. Bob Costas
7. Joe Buck
7. Peter Gammons
9. Dick Enberg
9. Bill Walton

Now I have no idea how they came up with ties and you have to consider that they also examined marketability and how much press the individuals got in the past year. Needless to say this wasn't even close to the Blogosphere's list....

1. Marv Albert
2. Bob Costas
3. Peter Gammons
4. Jon Miller
5. Gus Johnson
6. Al Michaels
7. Dan Patrick
8. Mike Tirico
9. Dick Enberg
10. Chris Fowler

AA's list: Marv Albert, Gus Johnson, Peter Gammons, Ron Jaworski, Dan Patrick, Al Michaels, Mike Tirico, Charles Barkley, Chris Fowler, Ernie Johnson (I completely forgot Dick Vitale so he's #11)

There's obviously going to be some discrepancy but that is just amazing. I really have no idea how Chris Berman or Dick Enberg would ever make that list, but maybe they have some deals with local eateries in their hometowns (or Dunkin Donuts for Leather). I can understand Buck making a list because of his commercial appeal, but when I made my list I focused on the words trust and respected. That's just me though. Your thoughts and/or lists in the comments.

TV's Most Influential Sportscasters (Forbes Magazine)

13 Comments:

It's all about what you mean. This question is too vague, and you get three vastly different answers depending on which question you ask.

Influential: Berman--everybody has their own shtick because of him

Respected: Al Michaels, Dick Enberg--they've been around forever and done everything

Trusted: I don't know on that one. I just know who I don't trust (Buck, anyone from ESPN)

J.J. said...
Jan 29, 2008, 2:28:00 PM  

@jj:

You don't trust Scott Van Pelt? If he can rock the 'Adult Swim' sweatshirt of the ESPN2 simulcast of the Mike Tirico show, he gets my vote.

Anonymous said...
Jan 29, 2008, 2:31:00 PM  

SVP was just outside my Top 10....just didn't think he was influential enough. That list was tough to make.

Jan 29, 2008, 2:33:00 PM  

Scott Van Pelt is growing on me, I have to say.

J.J. said...
Jan 29, 2008, 2:33:00 PM  

I'm glad to see that Mort and Herbie didn't make the list.

J.J. said...
Jan 29, 2008, 2:35:00 PM  

Herbie should definitely be on this list, jj. I still think that he was right regarding that weasel Miles.

I "trust" Jay Glazer, hardest working man in football and always informative.

GMoney said...
Jan 29, 2008, 4:01:00 PM  

How the fuck is Verne Lundquist not on that list...

I would also include Bob Varsha, but he doesn't get much pub outside of F1.

E Buzz said...
Jan 29, 2008, 4:33:00 PM  

wags- I agree with you on Lundquist. I'd listen to him read the phonebook.

UnHoly Diver said...
Jan 29, 2008, 5:26:00 PM  

I would listen to Gus Johnson read the phonebook, that would be awesome

Anonymous said...
Jan 29, 2008, 5:34:00 PM  

How did the blogosphere miss out on Ernie Johnson?

HadesGigas said...
Jan 29, 2008, 8:46:00 PM  

Where, oh where is Joe Morgan????











Yes, I am kidding.

Anonymous said...
Jan 29, 2008, 10:18:00 PM  

How do you rate Dan Patrick high on any list. He was overrated at ESPN and he is still trying to get it right at his new West coast gig.Without a name star to prop him up, he is totally from the rip and read school of sports!

glb15 said...
Jan 30, 2008, 2:34:00 PM  

Collinsworth to me is the most influential analyst. 3 different networks, and actually listenable?

Anonymous said...
Jan 30, 2008, 5:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment