Stuart Scott To Undergo Chemotherapy

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Wow. I knew something was up after it had been 4 Monday Nighters in a row, but this is not the thing I wanted it to be. Following Stuart Scott's emergency appendectomy a second surgery was conducted to remove some tissue surrounding the area. That tissue contained a malignancy and Scott is going to have to receive Chemo....

Scott was in Pittsburgh for a Nov. 26 game between the Steelers and Miami when he became ill.

"Talk about a shocker," Scott said. "But I feel good, am in great hands medically and the doctors are confident they got all the bad stuff. I'm not the type of guy to let this eat up my life. I've got strong faith and family and friends who are tackling this with me. I can't find the words to express how much I appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers. I probably won't be able to get back to you all; but know it means a ton."

Scott will host Friday night's ESPN NBA coverage, and lead the coverage of ABC's Christmas Day studio show.
Man, that really is a shocker. Say what you will about Scott, but this is not something I'd wish on my worst enemy. Best of luck Stu....my thoughts are with you, and I hope that you one day grace these pages with more poetry.

Be sure to listen to the audio of Scott's message regarding his health on the ESPN page....Booyah!

Scott will host NBA shows while undergoing chemotherapy (ESPN)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 12:37 PM

11 Comments:

Wow. Yeah quite a shock to me also. That is really sad to hear. I am glad that he doing okay now. I know it's not a easy thing to go through. But I did have a question about something. I know it may not have anything to do with what he had surgery to fix but I was wondering what is wrong with his eye? I am not trying to run smack or anything like that at all. I am seriously wondering what happened to his eye. Kind of like when Ernie Johnson had that growth on the side of his head. What happened with that? Again I am not trying to be funny to draw attention to these things I am just curious.

Anonymous said...
Dec 20, 2007, 1:01:00 PM  

He actually got hit in the eye with a Football while covering the Jets back in the day. He had to undergo corneal surgery.

Dec 20, 2007, 1:05:00 PM  

Was he covering them or trying to be a jock?

E Buzz said...
Dec 20, 2007, 1:14:00 PM  

Actually I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it was for an ESPN piece as it happened in 2002.

Dec 20, 2007, 1:16:00 PM  

Justin, I believe Ernie Johnson had lymphoma, and the effects after the chemo probably had something to do with it.

TJX said...
Dec 20, 2007, 1:21:00 PM  

Wait. Are you saying his eye was normal before that Jets piece? That may be true, but I don't remember a Stuart Scott without the lazy half-closed eye. That's not a Stuart Scott I want to know.

Anonymous said...
Dec 20, 2007, 1:29:00 PM  

That's sad news. But doesn't it seem strange that ESPN would lose Scott and Dick Vitale in the same week? That only leaves the blogosphere with pretty much Skip Bayless, Chris Berman, and Emmitt Smith to complain about.

Good luck to Scott and Vitale.

J.J. said...
Dec 20, 2007, 1:32:00 PM  

I have been hard on Stuart Scott before, for various reasons. But after this I will look at him differently.

Brian is right: you don't want anyone to go through a major medical crisis, no matter what one thinks of that person.

Get well, Stu, and I hope to see you back on-air Friday night.

Anonymous said...
Dec 20, 2007, 1:41:00 PM  

First Vitale and now Scott. It's a reminder that the guys we love to bash are people and have feelings and lives and family and friends who love them very much too. I truly hope his time in chemotherapy is brief and that he makes a swift and full recovery.

Owen Good said...
Dec 20, 2007, 2:10:00 PM  

I hope Stu pulls through this but cancer or not, he still sucks at his job.

GMoney said...
Dec 20, 2007, 3:40:00 PM  

Im writing a poem for him ya know just in case....lemmme know.

Steve M said...
Dec 21, 2007, 2:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment