Gottlieb Will Hear Your Taunts Then Destroy You

Friday, December 07, 2007


I have no idea what started this, but it sure escalated quickly. Doug Gottlieb was on a Scout.com chat when heckling caused him to lose it just a bit....

Mike Indiana: How did your mediocre basketball career prepare you for a mediocre broadcasting career?
Doug Gottlieb: (4:04 PM ET ) So your mediocre life can prepare you for a mediocre afterlife...and by the way, which one of us works for ESPN... hey and next time...when I you say 30 minutes or less....get here on time with my pizza.
John (Notre Dame): Doug, I lost my credit card, where were you last night?
SportsNation Doug Gottlieb: (4:27 PM ET ) Ask your mom.
Johns Mom (Notre Dame): GOTTLIEB I KNOW YOU STOLE MY SON'S CREDIT CARD!
SportsNation Doug Gottlieb: (4:34 PM ET ) Ten years ago I made a mistake...and payed for it...18 years ago YOU WERE your parents mistake and they are still paying for it.
The chatters are obviously referring to Doug Gottlieb's short stint at Notre Dame where he stole a roommate's credit card and charged $900 to it, but I'm not really sure what set them off. Far be it from me to call anything out of bounds, but I think both Doug and the chatters just need to chill out. It's also a shame something someone did as a kid still comes back to haunt them.

Heaven forbid you folks find out some of the stuff I did in College.

Doug Gottlieb Does Not Like Your Taunts (Deadspin)
Doug Gottlieb Chat (Scout.com)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 10:52 AM

16 Comments:

Somebody should tell Gottlieb working for ESPN is now considered mediocre.

TJX said...
Dec 7, 2007, 11:25:00 AM  

I agree; however, 18 years old and in college ain't a kid. I also think Gottlieb's response is a tad bit unprofessional.

Anonymous said...
Dec 7, 2007, 11:43:00 AM  

Is he the next Mike Greenwhore?

E Buzz said...
Dec 7, 2007, 11:45:00 AM  

Oh definitely....don't get me wrong....that was damn unprofessional and I don't condone what he did. Both parties should have shown a bit of class.

Dec 7, 2007, 11:45:00 AM  

I just think that it is more a comment on the network than on him. If he wants the benefit of the doubt and a break, then ESPN had better remember that next time somebody young does something stupid (Duke lacrosse, anyone--and they never even went to trial). They cannot be held to higher standards than the people they report on. And lots of us did stupid shit in college. But most of us didn't BREAK THE LAW. And then get a job at the WWL apparently just because we had the title "former Notre Dame player" in front of our names.

Anonymous said...
Dec 7, 2007, 11:47:00 AM  

The odd thing to me is that what Gottleib did is minor compared to the others who walk the halls in Bristol.

Steve M said...
Dec 7, 2007, 11:50:00 AM  

Thanks, Doug, for letting everyone know that you are better than the rest of us.

GMoney said...
Dec 7, 2007, 11:51:00 AM  

Actually, I bet a lot of us broke the law in college (underage drinking and smoking pot - anyone??).

I agree about ESPN. They really cherry-pick outrage regarding steriods/performance-enhancing drugs and illegal drug use regarding pro athletes, yet they have guys on the payroll that used roids and others who were notorious drug users (Michael Irvin comes to mind as one).

Anonymous said...
Dec 7, 2007, 12:44:00 PM  

Erased from the ESPN chat logs in 3... 2... 1...

Anonymous said...
Dec 7, 2007, 1:05:00 PM  

I apologize. I forget that the drinking age wasn't 18 everywhere when they went to college.

Anonymous said...
Dec 7, 2007, 1:12:00 PM  

Gottlieb is mini-Colin.

Anonymous said...
Dec 7, 2007, 1:19:00 PM  

I just think the opening comment is classic. I am not that familiar with espn chat so someone explain: they just let these thing go no hold barred? No editing or screening? That's very un-espnish.

Also, do we know how much these guys make? Say average BBall anouncer or SS desk job? I'd be interested.

TheFolkist said...
Dec 7, 2007, 1:20:00 PM  

It actually wasn't an ESPN chat, which is what caught me off guard. It was on Scout.com.

Paterno- The average BBall announcer for college probably 200-300K per year.

Dec 7, 2007, 1:28:00 PM  

I wonder if Gottlieb does his chats with HIS SHORTS ON BACKWARD?

Besides, we all know the other chatter was Jim Boeheim... that sneaky devil.

Anonymous said...
Dec 7, 2007, 2:45:00 PM  

Tell me when Sean Salisbury does one of these chats. If I can just get one dick joke in, my life would be fully complete.

Dec 7, 2007, 4:00:00 PM  

Hey, I know Gottlieb is a dick (I'm a Syracuse grad for God's sake), but does anyone actually think this is legitimate? That being said, whoever made that up is hilarious.

Oh, and Gottlieb? Still a dick.

Anonymous said...
Dec 8, 2007, 12:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment