Mike And The Mad Dog Take The Side Of Cable, Jerry Jones Cancels Appearance On Their Show

Thursday, November 29, 2007

If this doesn't show you how unsympathetic and cowardly the NFL Network is acting in this whole Cable Carriage thing then I don't know what will. NFL Network Committee Chairman Jerry Jones was scheduled to be on the New York radio show Mike and The Mad Dog this morning, but after hearing them side with the Cable Companies he changed his mind. Via Sports Business Daily...

Francesa said Cowboys Dir of PR Rich Dalrymple “listens to the show, and he’s smart and he knows what we were saying, and he’s not going to put Jerry Jones in a position where he’s going to get argued with." Francesa, on the NFL: “They’re the ones who are in the wrong here. I don’t care how many ads they buy in the newspapers, they’re the ones who are trying to push an issue here. They are trying to create a model that was started by ESPN."

Earlier in the show, Russo said the NFL is "so completely wrong, it’s their product. If they cared about you, the fan, and your eyeballs, they would make sure that that product was watched. And they’re not making sure of that”
That's pretty weak sauce if you ask me, but I guess that's what makes Jerry Jones a smart businessman. Never put yourself in an uncompromising situation. Also, good for Mike and The Mad Dog for saying somthing though. I think after tonight the NFL might change their tune because there just won't be the outcry that they're looking for, or excuse me....trying to create. Like someone in the comments mentioned earlier today.....What happens on the NFL Network from February to July? Not much.

And Cris Collinsworth's thoughts on the number of people watching him tonight......

“That doesn’t bother me. As long as they pay me” (From HBO Real Sports)

Live-blog's at 8pm tonight folks. I'm one of the people who pays my cable company money for the program, so I have to use it for something right?

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 4:10 PM

12 Comments:

When you make cable television look like a victim, you have accomplished something.

Congratulations, NFL. I never dreamed I would see the day that I would defend cable.

I'm so sick and effing tired of businesses and their exclusivity contracts impeding my freedom of choice. I shouldn't be forced to have satellite and cable, two brands of satellite radio, and three different brands of cell phones just so that I can receive the content that I want.

I'm tired of being pushed around. God help them if we find a way to push back.

Anonymous said...
Nov 29, 2007, 4:44:00 PM  

Jerry Jones is a dickbag anyway.

GMoney said...
Nov 29, 2007, 5:26:00 PM  

I have a question for whoever might have answer:

I saw on CNN earlier today the governor of Wisconsin bitching that the people of his state wouldn't be able to watch their team.

I live in Chicago and have seen commercials the past week that Channel 50 (MyNetworkTV, former UPN station) will be carrying the Bears-Skins thursday (dec. 6) game.

My question is, are local stations in Wisc. and Dallas also picking up this week's games for local broadcast?

Personally, I think the people of Green Bay and Dallas are the only ones who have a legitimate gripe in this whole mess, ESPECIALLY if their stadiums are in any way publicly funded.

Otherwise, all this talk about anyone having a "right" or "freedom" to watch a football game is silly. The NFL has the right to sell their product at whatever price the market sets. If no one buys the NFL's product, they'll eventually lower the price.

Anonymous said...
Nov 29, 2007, 5:53:00 PM  

Matt here is your answer:
http://soxanddawgs.com/?p=2763

Steve M said...
Nov 29, 2007, 6:17:00 PM  

Dallas residents will have the local coverage on "the U" as well tonight.

Unknown said...
Nov 29, 2007, 6:37:00 PM  

thanks

Anonymous said...
Nov 29, 2007, 6:40:00 PM  

I have Dish Network. If a tight-assed bastard like Charlie Ergen has this channel then I think the cable companies are full of shit.

Anonymous said...
Nov 29, 2007, 7:22:00 PM  

hey Cris Collinsworth. the only people who should be saying "as long as they pay me" are the hard working public who make $10 an hour to feed a whole family. not millionaire commentaters who get paid to be assholes. Fuck you, you fucking cuntrag. WHy dont you get another face lift you sweet little douche. and fuck the NFL. you want Cable to put your shit on for free while you make trillions off ad revenue. and YOU are the ones complaining ? Fuck you too. Fuck you and your snobby announcers who think they are cute making wise cracks every weekend. Fuck Tony Siragusa who made a living eating cheeseburgers and making jokes on the sidelines. Fuck ESPN for their comedy of a Football show on sundays. while i'm at it, Fuck Fox and CBS too. God Damn. they make fuckin billions per week. that shit should be for FREE like it used to be. you should be giving away tickets, jerseys, food, beer, everything to the fans. we're the ones that pay for it. and fuck the NFL for the super bowl. the SUper Bowl holds roughly 60,000 seats at LEAST, and you only sell half of that to the fans. just so some Joe Blow from "ad agency who pays millions for a 30 second super bowl commerical" can bring his 4 year old kid to a game between 2 teams he doesnt give 2 shits about.

at any rate, if the NFL and ESPN and all of TV werent such assholes, then blogs like Awful Annoucning and The Big Lead wouldnt be around making us laugh and think about how fun sports are.

Keep up the good work.

*but put a bullett in Collinsworth ass.

Anonymous said...
Nov 29, 2007, 9:37:00 PM  

I don't know why the cable companies don't come out and say, "Give us Sunday Ticket and we'll do whatever you want with NFL Network."

It would be the best thing for the fans, and in the end, it would be the thing that would make the most money for both sides. Both sides are being huge assholes, but I won't even listen to the NFL's side unless they make it possible for me to get Sunday Ticket. I would watch more of that on 17 Sundays a year than I did for the entire year I had on NFL Network.

Phil said...
Nov 29, 2007, 10:08:00 PM  

Matter of fact, the cable companies, or some people that head them have said if they get the rights to Sunday Ticket, they'll put the NFLN on their systems.
Time Warner and Cablevision, for example.
And I was the only logical thing James Dolan has said in public in the past year.

Anonymous said...
Nov 30, 2007, 12:41:00 AM  

Unbelievably, I also side with Cable on this one...I'm a sports fan and love having all the channels on my digital cable. However, I'm also sick of paying for SoapNet, 7 Discovery Channels, and G4TV (whatever that is). So, I can see how many subscribers would be against having NFLN as a part of their basic package and having to pay for it.

Cable is right to put NFLN on a sports tier...in fact everything should be grouped by subject matter so I can get the things I really want and not all the other crap.

Anonymous said...
Nov 30, 2007, 11:54:00 AM  

@PHIL: If you ever listen to Jim Dolan CEO of Cablevision, aka the same assbag that runs the Knicks, he says this all the time. If they give his company Sunday Ticket he would take the NFL network. But he won't take a minimal product (NFL Network) when the product that all his customers want (Sunday Ticket) wouldn't be there as well.

Simon said...
Nov 30, 2007, 1:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment