Bryant Gumbel Is My Tryptophan

Friday, November 23, 2007


I really was genuinely excited for the NFL Network's return last night. Even though I knew the game probably wasn't going to be exiting it was still late night Thanksgiving Day Football. I said I was willing to give Bryant Gumbel another chance and this was it.

How did he do you ask??? He failed miserably. If you don't have the NFL-Network you missed the most boring game I've ever seen in my life. Not because of the action on the field but because of Gumbel.

I understand the game was sloppy, and it wasn't what you wanted for your first game of the year, but could you show me you cared a little bit Bryant!?!? I mean even Chris Collinsworth (who I usually enjoy) was struggling at the end of the contest because you could tell Gumbel just didn't care. Maybe it's just his personality, but the guy is about as exciting as watching paint dry. If he showed even an ounce of energy he might be tolerable as a Play by Play guy, but he registers on the opposite end of the spectrum from Gus Johnson. No I take that back Gumbel is like the Highlander. He sucks the viewer's energy and soul out of them as they watch the game (there can be only one).

Last year the NFL-Network ESPN employed a team of Brad Nessler, Dick Vermeil, and Ron Jaworski and they proceeded to call a great game. What's wrong with Brad Nessler and Chris Collinsworth? Why does it have to be Gumbel??? It makes no sense to me. ANYONE Would be better than Gumbel....Kornheiser, Chip Caray...even Joe Theismann.

I know we have to live with him for another seven games this year, but honestly this just isn't working. Maybe he'll get more exited for Romo/Favre next week, but last night was abysmal.

Random Quote Of The Day That Has Nothing To Do With Gumbel Or The NFL Network:

"Detroit really likes to spread you out"- Joe Buck (Via embrnl4)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 10:55 AM

16 Comments:

Random Quote II - "Kellen Clemens just got pummelled from behind by DeMarcus Ware" - Jim Nantz

I think Jim stayed up too late Thanksgiving eve watching 'Pulp Fiction'.

Steve M said...
Nov 23, 2007, 12:04:00 PM  

I thought the game Nessler vermeil and jaws callled was the 2nd games of the MNF Double header

W_Rabb said...
Nov 23, 2007, 12:29:00 PM  

Nantz was godawful yesterday.

Story after story about someone's dog dying, their Dad, their Dad dying, a trip to France, a nice recipe for peach cobbler...

It just didn't stop...ever...the whole game was like watching the HG channel.

When did football become Entertainment Tonight? It sounded like he gave more prep time to those stupid little stories than the game itself.

Awful.

E Buzz said...
Nov 23, 2007, 12:35:00 PM  

Thats right, Nessler, Jaws and Vermil did the second game of the MNF doubleheader last season they never called a game for NFL Network.

Anonymous said...
Nov 23, 2007, 12:39:00 PM  

Yeah, what was up with that? Every time CBS came back form a commercial break, Nantz mentinoned someone dying. That's the last thing you want to hear on Thanksgiving

Anonymous said...
Nov 23, 2007, 12:45:00 PM  

You're all right....sorry T-Giving Day hangovers suck.

Nov 23, 2007, 1:02:00 PM  

I heard the first half on Westwood radio with Dick Enberg and Dennis Green. Dennis Green was surprisingly great, adding good insight from a recent coach.

And then I got home and caught it on NFL Network. Oh god. I couldn't listen to Gumbel for longer than 8mins. They weren't even calling plays by the end of the 3rd. They were talking about Cowboys - Packers.

Pinder said...
Nov 23, 2007, 1:30:00 PM  

We heard a lot abot the Momma Nantz pie yesterday

Unknown said...
Nov 23, 2007, 1:32:00 PM  

Nothing says "football on Thanksgiving is great" like a nice long winded 9-piece Ken Burns-esque story about cancer and death.

It adds so much to the game.

Nantz is elevating his game to new highs of awful.

Just turn football into Entertainment Tongiht already, at least let us look at Mary Hart's cans and legs.

NFL on the radio is so much better. It's ironic that the guy's on radio speak way less than the announcers on TV. Maybe they have to describe the game more, but I prefer it.

Dave Sims is the Gus Johnson of radio...mixes in a lot of "Goodness Gracious!"

E Buzz said...
Nov 23, 2007, 1:37:00 PM  

It's not that Gumbel is boring. It's that he doesn't know that he's calling a game on TV, not radio. He feels the need to narrate every last thing. And he also strangely obsesses over whether the play is on "this side" (meaning the bottom of the screen) or not.

"Manning throws, this side, to Addai."
"Addai takes the ball, cuts this side, now looks to the right. Back tot his side. 4 yards."

Anonymous said...
Nov 23, 2007, 2:20:00 PM  

AA, you take that back...Agreed, Gumbel is atrocious, with zero energy and perhaps the most annoying voice in sports...But Theesmann renders the viewer measurably dumber with every single word that falls out of his piehole...May he remain in exile forever...

--White Hammer

Anonymous said...
Nov 23, 2007, 5:09:00 PM  

They need to get Marshall "Who He!?" Faulk back in the lineup.

Anonymous said...
Nov 23, 2007, 7:31:00 PM  

Yeah, Gumbel BLOWS A$$. Probably the worst announcer EVER. He is so boring, and doesn't know football. Why the hell the NFL network would want to hire them is beyond me. Oh, he's a respected (I think, although I don't know why), safe, black journalist (is he?)/personality, sign him up. Give me a break. He is a JOKE, I absolutely hate the guy (and I didn't even see the game).

Anonymous said...
Nov 23, 2007, 9:46:00 PM  

Replace Kornheiser with Vermeil on MNF.

Anonymous said...
Nov 24, 2007, 12:56:00 AM  

for gosh skaes it's "Cris" not "Chris"

Anonymous said...
Nov 24, 2007, 3:12:00 AM  

Nice, Cris.

But anyways. Gumbel is horrible. I had seen the apology info on here, and so at first when I was listening I thought I might have just been looking for things to talk shit about... But was absolutely horrible. He doesn't know anything about what's going on, and he can't get any names right.

I'm now not so pissed that I don't get to see the NFL Network games.

Anonymous said...
Nov 25, 2007, 10:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment