The Reviews Are In For E:60, Not So Bad Actually

Wednesday, October 17, 2007


Not that I was expecting for it to be groundbreaking television (considering it's actually what SportsCenter was and what Outside the Lines is now), but the debut of E:60 went pretty splendidly last evening. I had numerous people write in to agree, but the best (and most touching of all) was the following email from reader Pam.....

I saw the debut of E:60 tonight and was particularly touched by the Jason Ray segment. My son, Joseph McCormick, actually attended UNC-Chapel Hill with Jason. Jason was my son's bible study leader. Jason and my son were very close, and Jason helped Joseph grow significantly in his knowledge of Christ. In fact, Joseph became a bible study leader after Jason's death. My son is studying abroad this semester in Italy and missed your program.

Is there any way I could get a DVD of that portion of the program??? I would be most appreciative.- PM
Now I don't know how or why PM thinks that this site is an ESPN suggestion box, or if he/she just forwarded me the email she sent to them, but I agree....great piece by ESPN. As for the overall show, I thought the production was a little cheesy and shaky at times, but those are things you can hammer out as you move along. I think E:60 has a place alone amongst the chaos, randomness and generally crappy ESPN programming. Now if you can only do something with Lou Holtz' Pep Talk and make us forget the ESPNHollywoodWho'sNowStuScott'sPoetrySlamSkipBaylessKornheiserOn
MondayNightFootballTheMovie3ChristianSlater's of your network....I'll be happy.

Oh, and get Bill Simmons out of that damn spandex!



P.S.- If that was actually an ESPN employee posing as a reader you know you're going to hell right? And also, let me know if you can get a DVD to PM....I'll be glad to put you in contact.

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 1:10 PM

9 Comments:

It was nice to see a show on ESPN where everybody is NOT screaming at each other the whole time. I'm not big on too much "feel good" stories though. I mean Mitch Albom was thinking some of it was over the top.

Maybe I misunderstood his role, but I thought Bill Simmons was going to be doing sports commentary. Didn't they say "Andy Rooney like" or something like that. Not even close.

Jay said...
Oct 17, 2007, 2:01:00 PM  

I only caught the first 10-15 minutes, but I have to say that it was the most refrehing program I've seen on ESPN in a long time.

I mean...other than Madden Nation.

tecmo said...
Oct 17, 2007, 2:17:00 PM  

E:60 was good again its what OTL was 10 years ago and what I thought OTL Daily was going to be, but they got into the yelling bit too. Worst part of the show was Simmons

Unknown said...
Oct 17, 2007, 2:21:00 PM  

since you're tight with espn now -- did you ask who the father of suzy's baby was?
email espn back and ask who the stud is.

Anonymous said...
Oct 17, 2007, 2:45:00 PM  

E:60 was not bad at all. I'd watch again.

Spoken Word.

Jarrett said...
Oct 17, 2007, 3:10:00 PM  

Wait, moms are reading AA now???

GMoney said...
Oct 17, 2007, 3:28:00 PM  

Simpson has a horrible jump shot. That was very unathletic. That's not the kind of shot you can get off with anybody near him. Maybe that would have worked in a New England prep school, but no where else.

THN said...
Oct 17, 2007, 4:04:00 PM  

Not only did ESPN rip off their own show (Outside the Lines), but apparently they've ripped off TMZ TV too.

I happened to catch a few minutes of TMZ this afternoon, and it starts with a producer-reporter type meeting where they discuss the stories they will inevitable report on during the show.

I guess E:60 isn't produced by ESPN Original Entertainment.

Anonymous said...
Oct 17, 2007, 4:18:00 PM  

Wait a minute, some one stole my handle? WTF??? Make one funny comment about Bob Wickman's fat ass and everyone grabs for your glory...I finally know Comic Book Guy's pain. "Oh. I have wasted my life."

Just for the record, the original PM understands this isn't an ESPN suggestion box. But as this comment is likely to generate many questions for the original PM about the new PM, I must refrain from any further comments this week.

p.s.: getcha cheeseburgers ready.

Anonymous said...
Oct 17, 2007, 7:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment