ESPN2 Has Very Odd Ratings Regarding Commercials

Thursday, October 25, 2007


I don't even know how this is possible, but something very strange is going on with ESPN2's ratings. According to MediaPost.com ESPN and ESPN2 have the best ratings during the commercial that the respective networks air. ESPN2 rates first at 104% and ESPN comes in at 97.7%. Now I really have no idea how those things are measured, but this the wackiest part.....

Because that percentage for the Deuce is over 100 that means that more people watch commercials on ESPN2 than the programming itself.....

ESPN and ESPN2 last week were the top networks for Nielsen's new cable commercial ratings, with ESPN2's "over-delivering" compared to its program ratings, meaning that "more people were watching the commercials" than the programming, according to Wayne Friedman of MEDIA POST. ESPN2 scored 102% in the new metric among both the 18-49 and 25-54 demos. Among all TV households, ESPN2 was first with 104% and ESPN was second with 97.7%.
The explanation given is that people are tunning in and out of live games, but that doesn't really make sense to me. The reason I'm thinking.....People would rather watch commercials than Madden Nation.

(Via Sports Business Daily)

P.S.- I couldn't really find a good picture to use, so I decided on Infomercial King Ron Popeil. Just set it.......AND FORGET IT!

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 1:40 PM

3 Comments:

Ronco is a Fortune 500 company, right?

GMoney said...
Oct 25, 2007, 4:03:00 PM  

I'll turn on ESPN2 to see a score on the Bottom Line if I am too lazy to look it up. Maybe I am not the only one.

Anonymous said...
Oct 25, 2007, 7:51:00 PM  

The last comment is right on target. In fact, ESPN2 didn't keep the scores up during the breaks until a couple of years ago. From what I remember the move produced positive reviews from the ad industry.

Anonymous said...
Oct 26, 2007, 2:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment