Braves' Announcers Say Goodbye To National Audience

Monday, October 01, 2007


A lot of my good friends from Virginia are Braves' fans simply because they had no team in the area and the Braves were always on National TV. Well those days are over my friends as the Braves will no longer be broadcast nationally. Skip Caray had a gracious and humble goodbye to his audience of the last 30(!) years....

"The people all over the country who send you Christmas cards every year; the people who when dad passed, 5,000 of them sent notes or condolence cards; when I lost my brother the people all over the country who sent condolence cards as well — how do you thank those people and how do you say goodbye to those people? I don't know, but I'm trying to do it. You all must know how we feel and how I feel about you. You brought me back five years ago when they tried to bury me on television. The executives didn't [bring me back]; you did.... To all you people who have watched the Braves for these 30 years ... thank you. We appreciate you more than you will ever know. ... When we first came on the air on TBS, which was then WTCG, the big TV shows were M*A*S*H, Dallas, Laverne & Shirley, Happy Days and Charlie's Angels. We outlasted them all. The only one that beat us was 60 Minutes. We don't want to get all maudlin here, but thank you folks and God bless you. And we're going to miss you every bit as much as you miss us."
My dad and I had a running joke when I was a kid that if we couldn't find anything on TV to watch we would flip to TBS and proclaim, "Well the Braves are on...We've gotta watch!" For some reason we'd always watch the rest of the game and more often than naught a Braves loss. Well said Skip.

Braves Broadcasters Say Goodbye (Fanhouse)
Caray bids farewell to Braves watchers on TBS (AJC)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 2:42 PM

3 Comments:

I'm sad. It's the passing of an era. And I knew I could count on all of those "Andy Griffith" reruns any time there was a rain delay. I think I saw every Andy Griffith episode at least once while watching Braves games.

Anonymous said...
Oct 1, 2007, 4:01:00 PM  

By friends you mean me, the cado..king of rotoworld!!!

Anonymous said...
Oct 1, 2007, 8:55:00 PM  

TBS sucks

Anonymous said...
Oct 2, 2007, 4:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment