ALCS Game One: Open Thread (Welcome Back FOX!)

Friday, October 12, 2007


THERE'S ONLY ONE OCTOBER!!!!!!!!!!! Just thought you should know. It's cold in Boston, so I have my parent's apartment's basement fire on. That's a lie but I'm 4 beers in, so it could be coming soon. BTW I think 4 beers is my optimum blogging capacity.

Anywho, enough of my background....how about you (a/s/l?)? I'm in on a Friday night to watch Sports and the awesomeness that is Buck McCarver. I'm a little late to the party so if something has already been said let me know. I'll be in this space sporadically throughout the night.

(As always, I thank The Sports Hernia for that photo. I can't get over Joe Buck's Le Tigre pose)

"And that's from our friends TBS"- Joe Buck

Aww look who's making nice!

Tim McCarver revisits the keys to the game in a smooth and calculated fashion (it took 3 minutes to say a 10 second statement)

"I don't know about Joe Buck making nice, but what I do know is that he has the tallest, most towering head I've ever seen. That's simply an incredibly tall head."- Anon

He has to store all of that Sports knowledge and insight ego somewhere Anon. (You set em up I'll knock em down)

"When it comes to Manager of the Year the reason I think Wedge will rate the Edge is because his payroll is twenty third....Terry Francona is second."- Ken Rosenthal

"On the otherside in the other dugout almost redefinding....redefining....this Indians lineup really pounding out hits..."- Buck

"You can't quarrel with either one getting the nod."- Buck
"Nope."- McCarver

Wow...was that an all-around shitshow. Here's the thing though, at least Rosey and Bucks tried for an opinion about Manager of the Year.....McCarver.....nope.

"I think Joe Buck needs to say Manny being Manny a couple more times. Apparently catching a fly ball is Manny being Manny."- Simon

What if the Yankees were playing the Sawx tonight? What name would Joe say more....A-Rod or Manny? Discuss amongst yourselves.

Eric Wedge owns a Batting Cage outside of Boston....hard hitting reporting from Tim McCarver that was passed to him on a post-it from an intern from Somerset. Excuse me.....Summmmahhhhhsettt.

It's Finger Lickin' Good by the Beastie Boys coming back from the break? That's being turned into a YouTube clip. How ridiculous was that?

"I am picturing Joe in a batting cage, looking all tough and hardass, adjusting his watch...And sucking, and maybe pulling a muscle in his sunken chest."- Hollywood Wags

Drink every time HW gets mad at Buck.

"I believe that's Steven King's son next to him the fellow with the black beard....He does not write under the name King.....I think."- McCarver
"2-2 pitch is fouled third base side. Joe Hill."- Joe Buck
"Joe Hill! I think that's right. Steve Horn our director of information right on the ball as always a huge Steven King fan of Steve."- McCarver

OH GOD I MISSED YOU FOX BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Smiles...and singles...and Red Sox...and dreadlocks..and smiles" (Via Kyle)

Just kill me now please.

"Did anyone catch McCarver talking about the Red Sox playing the White Sox in the 2006 Playoffs?"-Kyle

I wish I did.....because THAT'S NOT RIGHT!

"Halfway through the game and Joe has been solid in my estimation. McCarver, not so much. But still better than the TBS crew."- Anon

Really? I just can't listen to Buck at all.....I just laugh at McCarver.

MIGHTY MIGHTY BOSSTONES! Nice.

"Did anyone else miss the McCarver cackle?? (In best Terry Bradshaw voice) - Joe Buck, you funny!! Over/under - Ben Affleck shots this series (set at 7 1/2)"- Anon

Joe Buck brings up A-Rod to the Red Sox....you know....just because.

CC's hat looks

"If there was ever to be a buddy cop TV show/film of Buck and McCarver, "Smug and Senile" would be a great title."- Kyle

We've got an early leader in the Clubhouse for comment of the night. You degenerates are making my night BTW. Who's drinking with me everytime Joe Buck is smug? POWER HOUR!

"Jason Patric would have to be on that show, he and Joe seem to enjoy each other's designer-stubbled company."- Hollywood Wags

Oh man....I don't care who you are.....

"Clam Chowda....Alright!"- Tim McCarver

"You guys can quit slobbering over FOX & the crew any time now....these man crushes are killing me... It's an 8-1 blow out...If it was TBS...you'd be killin' 'em"- keveekev

What are you reading dude? I'm so confused. Am I actually praising FOX while trying to type out horrible things??? They're in my brain!

"A fly ball, a souvenir, a smile, an RBI, a strikeout, a smile."- Buck, are you just looking at things in the room and saying you love them? I love lamp."- Tom

Oh Tom stepped up the game! Nice!!!!

All American Rejects is played....OMDQ thinks this came out 5 days ago.

"Maybe it's time to flip over to ESPN and catch the wit and wisdom of Chris Spielman"- Anon

As you wiiiiiiiish!

Holy crap......perfect timing. Anon I love you. Brandi Chastain ripping on Spielman....and I get the video? I would be nothing without you.

Holy shit....Chris Spielman just said that his daughter can only get the autographed Soccer ball if she benches 120 lbs!

"Jason left the trap door open and it squirted. Sometimes you don't get the glove down far enough." - TM (Via S2N)

"You guys whine when the announcers stuff up, but at least 2 of you have completely misquoted them. He said Gonzalez was as good as there is at short not Lugo."- Anon

I'm sorry....I apologize A Gone is a great individual Ms. Gonzalez.

"I preffered the Fox Producers joke to the Mrs Gonzalez one"- Anon

I work on a delay Anon.....it's Friday and I'm exhausted. You win round one my friend....


"Julio Lugo as good as there is at short"- Joe Buck

HOLY SHIT! Joe....I don't even watch Baseball and I know he sucks. I looked it up.....17th out of all starters in the majors. None better my ass.


Redacted. If you're Bill Simmons and/or Dane Cook I HAVE to know!!!

"A little Beck for Josh Beckett."- Buck

I'm actually enjoying FOX's music selection. Good stuff.

"JD Drew's younger brother is the shortstop for the Arizona Diamondbacks. And boy is he young."- Tim McCarver (Via Anon)

That's just wrong. Okay I'm jumping this sinking ship. I was bested by Bill Simmons on a fielding percentage comment and this game is over. I'll see you all for the Pam Ward Chronicles tomorrow.

Cheers!

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 7:55 PM

67 Comments:

I don't know about Joe Buck making nice, but what I do know is that he has the tallest, most towering head I've ever seen. That's simply an incredibly tall head.

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:15:00 PM  

I think Joe Buck needs to say Manny being Manny a couple more times. Apparently catching a fly ball is Manny being Manny.

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:22:00 PM  

Who the hell is this new voice? Manny Mann Manny?

Beeker thinks Joe's head is gargrantuan and tall.

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:25:00 PM  

So now FOX is fucking interviewing people over the actual game being played.

SHUT UP JOE, YOU ARE AWFUL!

I doubt Jack would ever say these words "such an impressive guy."

TM: "He owns a batting cage"

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:32:00 PM  

I am picturing Joe in a batting cage, looking all tough and hardass, adjusting his watch...

And sucking, and maybe pulling a muscle in his sunken chest.

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:33:00 PM  

What hustle from Manny Manny.

Manny being Manny == walking around like a fat housewife bending over to pick up a corn chip.

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:40:00 PM  

Woah Woah, don't look now but Joe Buck made a funny and said something along the lines of I don't know if you've heard Tim, but Frank has a new show on TBS starting in November.

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:42:00 PM  

Wow is Joe a smug fuckwad...

The greatest moment of Joe's life...being asked out by Troy.

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:43:00 PM  

"Smiles...and singles...and Red Sox...and dreadlocks..and smiles"

Kyle said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:43:00 PM  

Cue to obligatory Stephen King shot . . .

"Stephen King is not only reading a book but he's also written three since he's entered the park." - Buck

"Stephen King doesn't write under his name King. I think." - McCarver

Oct 12, 2007, 8:44:00 PM  

Halfway through the game and Joe has been solid in my estimation. McCarver, not so much. But still better than the TBS crew.

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:44:00 PM  

Did anyone catch McCarver talking about the Red Sox playing the White Sox in the 2006 Playoffs?

Kyle said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:46:00 PM  

What did Jack Buck ever do to have suck a smug fuck as a son?

I used to listen to Jackand Hank call the MNF game with my little GE clock radio when I was a kid, every week.

That was announcing. AA is prolly too young to remember those two guys.

They were great, truly great. cared about the game, knew the game, worked well together.

But that's radio, and the radio guys tend to do better work anyway.

Joe Buck could send smugness through radio waves.

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:47:00 PM  

96 to 97, 91 to 94.

It's cool to not use units of measurement, super cool.

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:49:00 PM  

Did anyone else miss the McCarver cackle??

(In best Terry Bradshaw voice) - Joe Buck, you funny!!

Over/under - Ben Affleck shots this series (set at 7 1/2)

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:49:00 PM  

Oh, absolutely over.

If there was ever to be a buddy cop TV show/film of Buck and McCarver, "Smug and Senile" would be a great title.

Kyle said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:52:00 PM  

Joe, shut the fuck up about ARod. I don't know if you have noticed, but he's not playing in this series.

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:52:00 PM  

I wish people would stop kicking around this ARod to the Cubs rumor. I don't want the new ownership getting the impression that's what Chicago fans want. We already have our overpriced diva who disappeared in the Playoffs, thank you very much!

Kyle said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:54:00 PM  

Going to the "issues" show...listen to the people calling this game talk about gossip and conjecture rather than the actual game and strategy.

It's like a fucking soap opera, Christ...

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:54:00 PM  

Jason Patric would have to be on that show, he and Joe seem to enjoy each other's designer-stubbled company.

This game is over.

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 8:57:00 PM  

Great line earlier...Buck talking about the "Did you hear Frank Caliendo has a show going on?" Great stuff.

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:00:00 PM  

Anyone want to predict the correct score for an AA T-shirt and or post?

Oct 12, 2007, 9:00:00 PM  

And yes I'm trying to come up with gimmicks to keep you around.

Oct 12, 2007, 9:01:00 PM  

It's "chowdah." Say it right.

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:02:00 PM  

"I predict a final score of 5-3 on a Brandon Podsednik walk-off home run." - Tim McCarver

Kyle said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:02:00 PM  

You want to keep the score in the area where you are winning.

15-2

I like the way Joe machine guns out: 22PITCH

That was my handle in 'Nam, 22PITCH.

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:06:00 PM  

You guys can quit slobbering over FOX & the crew any time now....these man crushes are killing me... It's an 8-1 blow out...If it was TBS...you'd be killin' 'em

keveekev said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:07:00 PM  

THIS IS OUR COUNTRY

Please God...

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:07:00 PM  

"A fly ball, a souvenir, a smile, an RBI, a strikeout, a smile."

- Buck, are you just looking at things in the room and saying you love them?

I love lamp.

Tom said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:09:00 PM  

You guys whine when the announcers stuff up, but at least 2 of you have completely misquoted them.

He said Gonzalez was as good as there is at short not Lugo.

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:09:00 PM  

Maybe it's time to flip over to ESPN and catch the wit and wisdom of Chris Spielman

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:10:00 PM  

That dude Blake has a throwback neckbeard.

Cool, it's like Bert Blyleven come to life.

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:10:00 PM  

Haha, love the Brick Tamland!

Kyle said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:10:00 PM  

No, Joe, I don't give a shit about where A-Rod signs right now. Call the fucking game, bitch.

Signal to Noise said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:11:00 PM  

Jenson Lewis finished off the bottom of the fifth.

I bet he's hammered.

dort.

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:12:00 PM  

Could Wedge stop moving side to side?

It's reminding me of that shitty SNL skit with the Chaldean dancing guys.

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:13:00 PM  

I miss the TBS crew already.

Signal to Noise said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:13:00 PM  

Is there a worse curse for any child than to be born into the Spielman household?

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:14:00 PM  

"Jason left the trap door open and it squirted. Sometimes you don't get the glove down far enough." - TM

Signal to Noise said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:15:00 PM  

"You guys whine when the announcers stuff up, but at least 2 of you have completely misquoted them.

He said Gonzalez was as good as there is at short not Lugo."

Key difference is I don't make six figures to act like a dick on the Intraweb.

Kyle said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:15:00 PM  

We had to wait for the 6th inning for Cleveland Rocks?

Very poor!

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:17:00 PM  

Joe trying to strategerize and manufacture an "issue".

Jow, just call the fucking GAME you Beeker-headed jagoff.

What's with all the babbling anymore...

You would think the radio guys need to talk more than the TV guys, yet Buck can't keep his mouth shut about a paper clip that he sees on his desk and the radio guys create a great mental image of the game.

Maybe Steve Phillips can help me get a good grasp of the game.

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:27:00 PM  

I'm goin to bed, baseball sucks.

E Buzz said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:37:00 PM  

I preffered the Fox Producers joke to the Mrs Gonzalez one

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:38:00 PM  

Thank God for the WebMD graphics. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known where the shoulder is.

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:39:00 PM  

"The inning starts with a wind-aided hit for Ryan Garko." - Buck

Cut immediately to a shot of the flag sitting dead on the pole.

(In fairness, I guess, they showed another shot with two flags whipping around pretty good. Bad call on the camera, I suppose.)

Oct 12, 2007, 9:47:00 PM  

JD Drew's younger brother is the shortstop for the Arizona Diamondbacks. And boy is he young. -Tim McCarver

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:50:00 PM  

So you think they will talk about a pitcher coming on 3 days rest any time soon?

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:52:00 PM  

Where's Jose Mota's excellent analysis from the dugout?

Simon said...
Oct 12, 2007, 9:58:00 PM  

Switch to TBS... how many minutes before the first Frank TV ad? Over/Under 10 minutes.

Simon said...
Oct 12, 2007, 10:01:00 PM  

Did anybody see that shot of KG in the crowd wearing an Indians hat?

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 10:05:00 PM  

Oooh first commercial break I'm bristling with anticipation...

Simon said...
Oct 12, 2007, 10:06:00 PM  

What no Frank TV ad during the first commercial break? I'm hurt.

Simon said...
Oct 12, 2007, 10:09:00 PM  

Dawg, Frank Caliendo is the funniest man alive. I'd much rather watch those commercials (although they are overkilling it a little bit) than that SOB Dane Cook (who is not funny at all) tell me there is ONLY ONE OCTOBER!!!!!!!!! in his annoying voice. How he is liked by ANYONE is beyond me.

Anonymous said...
Oct 12, 2007, 10:12:00 PM  

Through 3 commercial breaks.

This is Our Country 2
Dane Cook 0
Frank TV 0

Also TBS is going to commercials, coming back to Ernie in which he should just say, hey look, the AL game isn't over yet. We're going back to commercial break.

Simon said...
Oct 12, 2007, 10:15:00 PM  

On ESPN Radio, Joe Morgan was talking about how the LDS should be best-of-7 rather than best-of-5. He began by noting "It used to be 2 out of 3." Really, now? Jon Miller tried to right the sinking ship, but failed, and then claimed, "They've been playing each other all year, and one of the teams didn't even finish in first. It doesn't have to be fair. [...] It's exciting."

Later, Joe was repeating himself too much: "In baseball, the clock doesn't run out. You have to get those outs. The time can't run out on you. [two minutes pass] You can't go into a four-quarters defense."

Pinyan said...
Oct 12, 2007, 10:32:00 PM  

finer words have never been uttered...

"On ESPN Radio, Joe Morgan was talking..."

cheers to that... though McCarver has had his moments...

LeeZy said...
Oct 12, 2007, 10:36:00 PM  

Never an easy save with Gagne. Never. Ever.

Oct 12, 2007, 10:44:00 PM  

It isnt a save per se when you have a seven run lead in the 9th

Steve M said...
Oct 13, 2007, 12:13:00 AM  

Re McCarver and the Red and White Sox: Anyone notice him saying the Red Sox gave the ChiSox fits despite the fact the series was a sweep?

Anonymous said...
Oct 13, 2007, 4:17:00 AM  

Dude that picture of McCarver and Buck is creepy, Buck looks like he just used a fresh patch of rogain, and McCarver looks like he wants to give that microphone a blowjob.

I wish Fox would just put Kenny Albert and Marv Albert together, I wonder how many 'YES, and the foul' calls we'd get..

Anonymous said...
Oct 13, 2007, 4:37:00 AM  

I would just like to point out that Buck completely screwed up where Hafner's nickname comes from. It's a combination of project and donkey, rather than prospect and donkey.

Stupid and petty? Yes. But how can you be so bad at your job that you mess up simple facts that everyone knew were going to be mentioned, especially when you had four days to prepare for this game?

Oh, and it didn't take me long to remember how much I hate FOX. I was yelling at the flame thing that accompanies anything over 95MPH after the second pitch of the game.

Vegas Watch said...
Oct 13, 2007, 12:36:00 PM  

I'm late to the party here, but I just wanted to say that I loathe Ken Rosenthal and his Jim Gray-like smugness.

Anonymous said...
Oct 13, 2007, 3:20:00 PM  

look as a sox fan i love manny and david. but a night of verbal vomit from tim mccarver and joe buck would make me hate my team too...

Anonymous said...
Oct 13, 2007, 3:32:00 PM  

what is the music selection?

Anonymous said...
Oct 15, 2007, 1:04:00 AM  

Selected McCarver gems from Game One, 10/12/07
"Any other centerfielder besides Sizemore, Youkalis tries to go to third." (So Youkalis was automatically going to run on Melky Cabrera or Curtis Granderson or Vernon Wells on that play? Not true.)
On Pedroia's shot back at Sabathia: "The ball went back at Sabathia harder than he threw it.
A guy 5’7” hit that ball back at a guy 6’7” - go figure. . ." (OMG, Timmy)
With two outs for Cleveland in the top of the 9th, here is Tim's brilliant insight on what Boston needed to do: "One more hitter is the way you gotta figure it." (Pure genius.)
And not to slight Mr. Buck, as the Sox are congratulating each other he says, "There's the DH Manny Ramirez, shirt untucked." Yes, Joe, it's very easy to confuse Manny with David Ortiz.

Go Fox, Go. Please, go.

Anonymous said...
Oct 15, 2007, 12:22:00 PM  

Since there isn't yet an ALCS Game 2 thread, here's my McCarver moment from that game. After Cleveland took the lead in the top of the 11th, Timmy says: "Now the cheering's in the Indians dugout."
I only got this because I turned up the TV sound for a couple seconds. I've had to pretty much stop listening to these guys for mental health reasons.

Anonymous said...
Oct 15, 2007, 12:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment