It's Hard Out There For A Golf Announcer

Monday, August 27, 2007


Jim Nantz gets to sit in his cushy booth perched high above the action for CBS. He can sip mint juleps and make very soothing comments about putting that cause the viewing public to dose off. Well the same is not the case for Analyst Ian Baker-Finch. He my friends is in the line of fire, and this past weekend....he took one for the CBS Team....

Rich Beem's second shot on No. 18 deflected into CBS analyst Ian Baker-Finch's face after hitting a rail behind the green, dropping him to the ground. Baker-Finch was back on his feet a little later and appeared to be OK.

"I took one for the U.S. Presidents Cup team," Beem joked, noting that Baker-Finch will assist International captain Gary Player at the Presidents Cup. "I think he'll be all right. Luckily, I didn't catch him on the fly. But still, to get hit by a golf ball coming that hard can't feel any good."
Ow. I was once got hit by a golf ball in the shin when I was a cart boy at the age of 13. I cried like a little girl. I was also almost struck by lightning and a tree almost fell over and crushed my golf cart (I cried like a girl then too). Good times.

Beemer KO'S Baker-Finch (The Sporting News)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 9:20 AM

4 Comments:

Why don't you hang it up and turn this site over to OMDQ on a permanent basis. He posts more in a weekend than you do all month. Just saying is all...

Anonymous said...
Aug 27, 2007, 9:40:00 AM  

Ha...while I'm not debating he has more talent than I do....that's laughable.

Thanks for reading on the weekends though.

Aug 27, 2007, 9:44:00 AM  

Would this be ironic? Because towards the end of his playing days, IBF's shots had a real good chance of picking off a spectator/commentator/marshall/beer cart girl. Alanis, help a brother out.

Anonymous said...
Aug 27, 2007, 10:57:00 AM  

"That ain't nuthin'. Tournament down in Florida. I hooked my ball in the rough down by the lake. Damned alligator just POPPED up, cut me down on my prime. He got me, but I tore one of the bastard's eyes out though."

- Chubbs from "Happy Gilmore"

Anonymous said...
Aug 27, 2007, 6:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment