For Those About To Rock........FIRE!

Friday, August 17, 2007

How I wasn't invited to this is beyond me, but apparently the National Air Guitar Championships were held last night in NYC. The official website states, "When US military and economic leadership faces unprecedented criticism around the world, it is our belief that air guitar represents one endeavour our country can dominate without controversy." Hell Yeah it does!

Last year's winner Hot Lixx Hulahan was on hand to defend his title, and the competition was fierce....

Fourteen regional winners and the defending champion Hot Lixx Hulahan competed in yesterday's contest.

This year's selection of finalists included groups with names like "McNallica" from Boston, "Skeety Jone and Skeety Jone Band" from Chicago and "The Ultimate Loser" from New Orleans. Contestants never "play" an entire song. They only get one minute of a song to prove their air rock worth.

Andrew "William Ocean" Litz brought home the air-filled trophy for his performance.

"For that second round I said you know what this is it. If I slip I slip, if I break a bone I break a bone and hopefully when it is all said and done I walk away with this air trophy I'm holding right here and I did," he said after receiving his prize.
Dammit Hulahan! I paid those judges off Donaghey Style and you blew it when you went of plan with that rendition of "Free Bird"!!! No one does that song in an Air Guitar Off!!!

I dunno if it's these photos below (click for larger version), the fact that there are actual rankings, or the trophy case filled with air, but I'd go to this in a heartbeat. Someone tell me where to apply for credentials next year.
Air guitarists 'bring back essence of awesomeness' in US Air Guitar Championships (Daily Mail)

P.S.- Shred Nugent should have one on name alone.

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 11:07 AM

7 Comments:

Good God.

GMoney said...
Aug 17, 2007, 11:34:00 AM  

When I was in my twenties(in the 70s), I was a great air guitar player, if I say so myself. Then I threw out my shoulder playing softball(seriously) and have never been the same since.
Sigh... I coulda been star

Anonymous said...
Aug 17, 2007, 11:54:00 AM  

I went to the regionals at the Bowery Ballroom earlier this year. They weren't that great actually.

But, Andrew WK was one of the judges and apparently a beer fight broke out between the judges (up on a balcony) and everyone else (down on the floor) after I had already left. I was a little sorry I missed that part.

We met William Ocean's mom and some of his loyal followers before the show. I guess they follow him around to all of his contests.

I'm sure these Championships were spectacular though.

If you haven't seen the movie Air Guitar Nation yet... DO IT! It's amazing, and it will fully explain the overwhelming pro-US feeling behind the Air Guitar mantra.

As Homer says best, "USA! USA!"

Aug 17, 2007, 1:53:00 PM  

I agree that Shred Nugent should have won on name alone.

And did anyone else notice that Ricky Stinkfingers is from San Fran? There's a joke in there that I just don't want to touch.

Jon said...
Aug 17, 2007, 4:39:00 PM  

I heard Richie Sambora was so loaded at his "Unplugged" taping they actually turned off his volume and someone else played over him. Richie, apparently, kept on playing and never noticed.

Sounds like the king to me. No sound, no problem!

Anonymous said...
Aug 17, 2007, 6:36:00 PM  

Shred Nugent should have won based on name AND talent!

But congrats go to William Ocean.

allysther said...
Aug 17, 2007, 10:27:00 PM  

a good buddy of mien was the runner up in the DC regional, losing to the SHRED in the finals...this is not only a real event, but it captures the hearts of thousands, maybe even hundreds of fans!

Anonymous said...
Aug 19, 2007, 8:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment