Seriously, Get Gus Johnson To The Middle East Post-Haste!

Thursday, July 19, 2007


Seriously, what can't GuJo do? One of the great Sports feuds of all-time has been squelched. No, not Ali v. Frazier....Not Clemens v. Piazza....not even The Bronx Is Burning's battle of Martin v. Jackson.

Nothing even compares to this battle. It's the one that you actually wanted to see. As one of the combatants would say, "I would pay $2,000 to see that." Yes folks...Gus Johnson ended....

ISIAH THOMAS V. WILLIAM SIMMONS


In something that only can be described as Most. Surreal. Moment. Ever. Johnson talked Thomas into meeting with Simmons (in Vegas none the less) and they had a sit down. From ESPN the Mag.....
Besides, anything -- and I mean anything -- can happen during Summer League in Vegas. I found this out while playing blackjack at the Wynn's European pool on Saturday afternoon. Improbably, I ran into one of my favorite announcers, Gus Johnson, who loves me because I love him. Just as I was about to make Gus announce a few of my blackjack hands ("Here's the double-down card ... OHHHHHHHH, IT'S A 10!!!!!"), he implored me to come over and meet Isiah Thomas -- that's right, my frequent column target, who once threatened "trouble" if we ever met on the street.

After I explained to Gus why this would be a horrible idea, he countered, "Hold on, I got this; I'll fix this." He left while I kept playing blackjack, wondering how to defend myself if Isiah came at me with a piƱa colada. Minutes later, Gus waved me over and introduced me to Isiah, who was quite gracious and gave me 30 minutes.

I explained my side, he explained his, and that was that. Maybe the details don't matter as much as the story itself: Gus Johnson brokering peace talks between me and Isiah Thomas at a topless pool in Vegas.
As Mel Allen would say...."How ABOUT that!?" What's next Gus??? Iraq/Iran?...child's play. Catholics/Protestants in Ireland? Too easy. No, we're taking you right to the West Bank my friend and you're meeting with the PLO.

Nothing tops Vegas and hoops (Page 2)

8 Comments:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...OH MY, THAT INSURGENT NEVER NEW WHAT HIT HIM HA HA HAAAAAAA!

E Buzz said...
Jul 19, 2007, 11:23:00 AM  

Is the Big Lead getting DOS'd again?

E Buzz said...
Jul 19, 2007, 11:24:00 AM  

Hollywood; I was wondering the same thing.

Anonymous said...
Jul 19, 2007, 11:49:00 AM  

dude, i think it was a joke

Lou said...
Jul 19, 2007, 2:49:00 PM  

Hilarious article...Simmons does it again.

GMoney said...
Jul 19, 2007, 3:42:00 PM  

Maybe he can broker Remy v Simmons next.

Steve M said...
Jul 19, 2007, 5:47:00 PM  

The lack of detail about the conversation (or the Gus Johnson meeting for that) makes me think Simmons is going to unleash one helluva online column soon.

Kyle said...
Jul 19, 2007, 5:52:00 PM  

hahaha let me see James Brown (who took over the sweet 16 in Gus's place if you forgot) do that!

Anonymous said...
Jul 20, 2007, 11:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment