Who's Ready To Feel Old Today?

Tuesday, June 26, 2007


In the past week I've given you a handful of examples that illustrated how far SportsCenter has Fallen. Hey, I don't want it to be that way, but these are the facts.

Well folks, are you ready to be even more depressed? Do you remember when SportsCenter first spoke to you??? Do you remember a little duo simply know as Patrick-Olbermann???

Are you ready for it....I don't think you are.....sit down please.....

It was 10 years ago today that Dan and Keith did their last show together as SportsCenter anchors.

How sad is that? Seriously....whatever happened to straight-forward Sports reporting with humor when warranted (and funny on top of that)??? We now have to deal with The Sklar Brothers, Sean Salisbury, Who's Now?, The Coors/Bud Light Six Pack, Stuart Scott, Die Hard, etc, etc, etc.....

It's to the point where I rarely even watch the show now. To be honest the only time I ever catch it is on Sunday's during Football season. Maybe they need all the gimmicks.....maybe they don't. But I miss the first "never miss show" I ever watched.

I leave you with this lyric from one of the best bands during the time of Dan and Keith's last show......

"It's Sooooo Harrrrrd tooooo say gooooodbyyyyyye toooo yesterdaaaaaay eeeeeeeeee."



Thanks to Bruce for the comment below....I forgot to add that K and D are on Late Night tomorrow night.....

"Ya know, I haven't watched the Sunday night SC since KO left. In fact, I hardly watch it, period. They're scheduled to be on Letterman on Wednesday night, btw. I say "scheduled", because the last two times Patrick was booked were the Farrah meltdown, and Seinfeld's post-Michael Richards appearance, so it's a good bet something will happen."

A Vince McMahon Death stunt perhaps? Too Soon???

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 11:48 PM

11 Comments:

Ya know, I haven't watched the Sunday night SC since KO left. In fact, I hardly watch it, period.
They're scheduled to be on Letterman on Wednesday night, btw. I say "scheduled", because the last two times Patrick was booked were the Farrah meltdown, and Seinfeld's post-Michael Richards appearance, so it's a good bet something will happen.

Anonymous said...
Jun 27, 2007, 12:35:00 AM  

I find it ironic that some dumb AOL sprtswriter is going to badmouth Sportscenter...When AOL currently has a article based on the death of wrestler Chris Benoit, which lists the 25 sports death of the year. The list includes the racehorse barbaro, but does not include NHRA Funny Car driver Eric Medlen.

Are racehorses considered athletes and drag racers are not ? or is AOL just to dumb to research information before they post it.

What a disgrace to NHRA, the Medlen family and all fans.

Anonymous said...
Jun 27, 2007, 12:46:00 AM  

When I was kid, my mother used to record her favorite soap operas during the day and watch them at night.

How much did SportsCenter mean to me back then? I watched an entire summer of Guiding Light, Days Of Our Lives, and One Life To Live just so I could switch to ESPN at 11:30 and watch the Big Show.

Now, SportsCenter is awful and I'm wasting brain space on the Kat and David love storyline from 1993. I truly have nothing.

Jun 27, 2007, 12:53:00 AM  

Anon....

First of all I'm not a writer for AOL and never have been. Not sure if you're referring to me or someone else.

Second, whoever came up with that list is tasteless and a disgrace as a writer....don't care who it is. I would love for you to provide a link because I haven't seen anything on AOL recently.

Third, That crash was terrible....from someone who's watched some NHRA before.....that was a horrible incident.

Jun 27, 2007, 12:55:00 AM  

I was thinking the other day about how SC used to be an hour on Sundays and 30 minutes the other days. Now that it's an hour every day, it's like they have to try to find/make up stuff to fill the whole time.
Also, who remembers when Plays of the Week a) existed, and b) was narrated by the hosts?

La Rev said...
Jun 27, 2007, 6:05:00 AM  

thanks for starting the day with a reminder that i'm this old. really. you've done me a great service. i'll start drinking now.

Anonymous said...
Jun 27, 2007, 8:47:00 AM  

Tom Mees really spoke to me...

E Buzz said...
Jun 27, 2007, 9:20:00 AM  

While I agree that SportsCenter is not as good as it used to be, I really can't blame them. Lets face it, there are lots of sports fans out there, but there are not lots of sports fans who are really serious about sports. Most of the market is made up of casual consumers, and there just aren't enough people out there who take their sports seriously enough to warrant a network that spends most of their time doing in depth sports analysis or even a sports news show without a large entertainment factor built in. Like every other smart business, ESPN is just giving the people what they want, we're just not a part of the masses.

Premierophile said...
Jun 27, 2007, 10:08:00 AM  

Kenny Mayne is back doing the Sunday night SC. That's reason alone not to watch it.

Has anyone ever left SC, gone on to fail miserably at everything he tried and then come back?

Where’s Brett Haber when you need him?

Jun 27, 2007, 11:53:00 AM  

I remember it a little hazily, and I hadn't been watching SC religiously (like I used to when I still had a paper route and woke up early everyday - do kids still deliver the newspapers anymore without their parents' help?), and then I found out one of my favorite anchors was leaving for a news show. I was stunned, and pretty sad about it. One last "guh" for the ages.

But honestly, it made me feel young to find out that that show was only ten years ago. SC has fallen so far since then. It feels like its been twenty years.

One of the most telling things I remember is some small controversy with a baseball player happening after SC went to the hour-long format. I can't remember the circumstances. He was being asked questions by a reporter, and he came out and said something like: "I don't see why this is important. Now that you guys have to fill up an hour, you're making news out of nothing." (liberal paraphrase)

- b said...
Jun 27, 2007, 12:08:00 PM  

someone today (a youngster) did not believe me when I told them that SC once did highlights without music.

Selfishly, I love the Big Show book, since I am actually in it. I did a paper in grad school on references in Sportscenter and later presented the paper at an academic conference. I sent the paper to KO and DP and they mentioned it (perhaps not 100% favorably) in the book.

odessasteps said...
Jun 27, 2007, 7:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment