What The Hell?

Sunday, June 10, 2007


(posted by OMDQ)

An ESPN Sunday Night Baseball game that doesn't feature the Yankees or Red Sox? Is this even legal?

Just kidding. I'm actually very happy that neither of those teams are involved tonight, although the Cubs and Braves aren't exactly the most exciting matchup imaginable - well, until the last few minutes, anyway. My favorite part of THAT little issue was that they spent five minutes trying to figure out why Lilly got tossed - "Gammons is in the dugout, maybe HE knows! Peter, HELP US!" - before Miller casually mentioned that the UMPIRE WAS WEARING A MICROPHONE!

Gee, that information might have been useful, I don't know, when the question of why Lilly had been thrown out first came up.

I also enjoy that Joe Morgan still can't figure out why Jim Wolf delayed so long in throwing Lilly out of the game. Here's my theory: when Wolf was walking Renteria down to first, it sounded like he told Lilly to "shut your mouth". Just a thought, but maybe Lilly didn't heed that warning, threw in a few additional comments and was sent to an early shower as a result.

My guess, however, is that Joe and Jon wonder about this issue for the rest of the game. I guarantee it comes up at least four more times. (Since I typed that sentence, they've mentioned it twice. I think I set the over/under was a bit low.)

EDIT 8:46 - I might've given Wolf too much credit. They have him on tape as saying, "I knew he was gonna throw at him. I was waiting for it." No problem - if pre-game warnings were issued. According to Gammons, they weren't.

Also: top third, they're still talking about it.

Posted by One More Dying Quail at 8:25 PM

3 Comments:

Yeah they really won't let this go, will they? I almost had to switch over and watch LeBron sit on the bench for another 8 minutes.

Yesterday was even worse with Len Kasper and Bob Brenly on WGN--after the Soriano plunk I think they used the line, "it might be tomorrow, it might be two weeks, it might be five years, but someone is going to pay for that hit on Sori." Just wouldn't let it die until like the fifth inning.

Bstone said...
Jun 10, 2007, 9:43:00 PM  

This is why I love baseball, one of your team mates screws up someone gets drilled. It doesn't happen enough...do you hear me Bud Selig????

Steve M said...
Jun 10, 2007, 10:49:00 PM  

I tuned in just long enough to see and hear Miller and Morgan's "back and to the left; back and to the left" diatribe, and see Ed-Gar give the 2B a stiff arm. I just thank god it wasn't Jay Randolph and Mike Shannon; neither of them would have been paying attention long enough to see anything happen.

Anonymous said...
Jun 11, 2007, 12:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment