LJ Will Try To Single-Handily Fix The NBA Playoffs' Ratings

Thursday, June 07, 2007



So one of my favorite times of the year is here as the NBA Finals are upon us. As much grief as I've been giving the NHL Playoffs' ratings....the NBA Playoffs have been just as bad.

Last night's Stanley Cup Game 5 took in a 2.5 which is down 14% from last year. Last year's Stanley Cup finals went all the way to game seven which doesn't make it a fair comparison....buuuuut.....The NBA Playoffs are down a whopping 23.7% with the only highly watched game being the Pistons-Cavs Game 6 (5.8 rating).

So what does this have to do with Lebron? Well, to begin with...I don't know if you can expect the numbers for Game 1 to be significantly higher than last year's Finals average of 5.5. In fact they might not top that at all. So the big issue is...what happens if Lebron just completely blows it tonight? Answer....the NBA Finals' ratings are cooked. It's that simple.

There's no reason for the average American to watch if he and the Cavs aren't in the Series. The only thing the NBA has going for it is the 2-3-2 format. While most can't stand it....it's perfect for TV. Close Series will always rate higher than they normally would, and three home games in a row can get a team right back in the contest.

So here's the question.....Do the Cavs steal one of these first two? Do you agree with the pressure being put on Lebron by both the Cavs and the League? And lastly, who ya got and in how many???

AA is unfortunately going with the Spurs in 5 and the ratings being terrible. I'm a glass half empty guy though, so try and change my mind.

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 1:40 PM

3 Comments:

Spurs in 6. I so badly want to pick the Cavs (I'm a Cleveland sports fan), but I can't in all honesty do it. In fact, I'm really close to going for a Spurs sweep.

I've been swept up by emotion over the last couple of games. I even think I cried (with joy) when Wallace got tossed. But even with a full moon, irrational thinking, and maybe small pox. I still can't pick the Cavs.

Hermano said...
Jun 7, 2007, 3:41:00 PM  

Ummm who gives a damn if your prediction is wrong. I don't plan on getting executed if my pick is incorrect. That being said, as a former Clevelander and big Cavs fan, I say LeBron CAN and WILL do it. Cavs in 6 and they will win tonight due to the layoff rust of the Spurs.

GMoney said...
Jun 7, 2007, 4:16:00 PM  

The WWE's Undertaker theme for the Cavs Lineup was a nice touch. Spurs= Jackasses. Their Announcer blows hard too. USA Today said their crowd is weak too.

AdamAnt said...
Jun 7, 2007, 8:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment