Joe Girardi And I Need To Communicate Better

Saturday, June 23, 2007

(posted by OMDQ)

Joe Girardi said something a few minutes ago that served only to confuse me. After Alex Rodriguez stole second, Girardi was talking about the Yankees lineup and the way it differs from the team's traditional model. As part of his argument, he threw this out there:

"They're not a station-to-station team. They'll steal bases."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "station-to-station" baseball essentially any action that moves runners along one base at a time? And isn't that what a stolen base does? Am I wrong here? Did I just hear Girardi wrong? Will somebody please help me? Please?

Posted by One More Dying Quail at 6:14 PM

6 Comments:

"Station-to-Station" is actually a high-brow reference to the most important cinematic work of the past 20 years. I'm speaking, of course, about "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey."

Joe Girardi was just trying to be obtuse.

My Hero Zero said...
Jun 23, 2007, 7:04:00 PM  

Wouldn't that be Wyld Stallion to Stallion?

Jun 23, 2007, 7:08:00 PM  

I thought station to station was the terminology used in a swingers bar.

Anonymous said...
Jun 23, 2007, 7:22:00 PM  

You're not fluent enough in baseball cliche definitions fluctuating. "Station-to-station" now is code for slow runner, especially in the age where stealing isn't as big a part of the game if you're not the Angels.

The terms have just been, well, adjusted.

Signal to Noise said...
Jun 23, 2007, 7:45:00 PM  

Yeah, station-to-station has been used to describe slow, plodding teams that don't steal bases, hit & run, sac bunt, and don't go from 1st to 3rd on singles for at least the almost 20 years I've been paying attention.

They used to never miss a chance to describe the Red Sox as staion-to-station on ESPN or the Game of the Week.

And since it was brought up... Station!

Patrick said...
Jun 23, 2007, 9:13:00 PM  

Huh. I just figured it was another excuse to slurp the Yankees...

Berger said...
Jun 25, 2007, 9:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment