Is Rick Reilly Making Things Up To Sell Books?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007


This has to be the case because the guy is talking nonsense now. He's been all over ESPN as of late for some reason....even though he accused them of stealing his material. What's even more curious is the fact that he went on the Dan Patrick Show and sounded like a complete asshat.

Reilly: “How about just once showing your little fuzzy lens shot of my column with, ‘as first heart-wrenchingly portrayed in Rick ...’ You know, nothing. I get no love from you guys.”

Patrick: “Do you consider it plagiarism?”

Reilly: “No. Hell no.”

Patrick: “Well, if they’re taking from your column, they’re taking your idea. What constitutes…“

Reilly: “If they were taking lines. Now, one time ABC 'Evening News' actually took three lines. … That’s not what ESPN does. I’m just saying, how about a little love?”

Patrick: “Do you ever give me credit in your column for ideas that I’ve given you?”

Reilly: “I’m trying to think of one idea that you gave me that worked. You’ve given me a lot of ideas, but …”

Patrick: “How about the column, ‘Things that you will never see,’ and you wrote an entire column on that?”

Reilly: “Oh yeah, sorry. That was pretty good. Thank you.”

Patrick: “OK, so you stole that.”

Reilly: “No. I changed it to ‘Sentences that have never been uttered. …’”

Patrick: “But see, once again, you stole from me, and I got no credit.”

Reilly: “…You’re right. You did the leg work”
So basically it's okay for ESPN to steal your stuff, and it's okay to be hypocritical for not crediting Dan Patrick. I knew there was a reason why I don't subscribe to SI anymore.

I'm so confused....

(Quotes via SBD)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 12:41 PM

6 Comments:

I actually went and saw Reilly do a reading last night.

Jun 13, 2007, 1:29:00 PM  

Reilley is more of an asshat than anyone knows. He is very full of himself and the most disingenous person around. He frequents bars in Denver like he is god's gift to women. Anyway, I loathe him for many reasons but, one stands out. He wrote a story for SI a couple of years ago during the bullshit Colorado recruiting scandal regarding Katie Hnida the ex-kicker at CU. He wrote of a conversation that he had with her wherein she stated she was raped by a player while she was a player. This story took off like wildfire. Gary Barnett was suspended as a result more or less. The media went crazy over it. Anyway, the only source of Hnida's alleged rape was Hnida. Now, to write a story where your only source is the alleged victim is beyond irresponsible. Reilley blamed Barnett for the incident despite the following facts- it allegedly happened over the summer (a time in which players have no contact with coaches), she never told a soul until her conversation with Reilley. Hnida has also never said who was the rapist this indicting the entire team. It is also intersting that several wekks before Reilley wrote the article a underage girl was at a party at Reilley's own house with his children and filed a police report that she was sexually assaulted at the party. Glass houses, Reilley, you asshole.

Anonymous said...
Jun 13, 2007, 1:56:00 PM  

Channeling my inner-Austin Powers,

I think I've gone cross-eyed.

GMoney said...
Jun 13, 2007, 3:50:00 PM  

I used to love Rick Reilly's columns, and I really enjoyed his book, "Who's Your Caddy?" But it seems to me that his material has gone a little downhill in recent years. I suppose it's difficult to keep coming up with new stuff that's funny and insightful.

Kevin Hayward said...
Jun 13, 2007, 8:27:00 PM  

how about how reilly has basically stolen his whole schtick from Dan Jenkins?

Anonymous said...
Jun 13, 2007, 9:57:00 PM  

I think it's hilarious that there are actually people who believe the scandals at CU were bullshit. That program experienced a total loss of control and were an embarrassment to the entire Big XII...and if you actually listened to Patrick and Reilly on the show, you'd know that this kind of sarcastic give and take is par for the course and is probably meaningless to both of them. I have a hard time reading anyting meaningful into Patrick's or Reilly's words in that transcript.

Premierophile said...
Jun 14, 2007, 11:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment