College Gameday To Kick Off The Year In Blacksburg, VA

Wednesday, June 27, 2007



Fowler, Corso, Herbie, and Desmond Howard are heading to rural (and I mean RURAL!) VA on September 1st for the first of many on location broadcasts of College Gameday. Via an ESPN Press Release....

“Virginia Tech is a special place and the community is one of the most respectful and passionate we have visited,” said Norby Williamson, executive vice president, production. “Our coverage will be considerate of the emotional day facing the students, faculty, and people of Blacksburg and the country.”

Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech football head coach added, "Every time College GameDay has come to Blacksburg it has been exciting. This time, I think there will be a greater togetherness than ever before."
The game will be at noon against East Carolina, and Mike Tirico will be with Todd Blackledge and Bill Curry for the call. Another interesting tidbit is that Kirk Herbstreit will head out the door early to call the Tennessee/CAL game that night. AA hopes there are no flight delays because I thoroughly enjoy Herbie when he calls games.

(Special thanks to reader SS for the tip)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 2:36 PM

7 Comments:

"Another interesting tidbit is that Kirk Herbstreit will SHOOT OUT the door early to call the Tennessee/CAL game that night."

Poor choice of words, AA.

Anonymous said...
Jun 27, 2007, 2:56:00 PM  

Very....sorry for that, and thanks for the heads up.

Jun 27, 2007, 2:59:00 PM  

Anytime...and kudos to you for correcting it so promptly. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...
Jun 27, 2007, 3:05:00 PM  

AA- just an FYI; I live in Virginia, and with the exception of NoVA, Richmond, and the Hampton Roads areas, the whole state is rural. I live in the Southern part of my city, and there is literally a cow farm two minutes from where I live.
All that aside, I think it's great that ESPN will be in Blacksburg, even though I'm a UVA fan. :-)

Anonymous said...
Jun 27, 2007, 3:24:00 PM  

Bruce...trust me I know. I went to JMU. And while I'm aware that everywhere is Rural I believe that there are varying degrees of Rural in VA.

You have the Upper Rural- Fredericksbur
And the Lower Rural- Anywhere near North Carolina.

Jun 27, 2007, 3:27:00 PM  

That's very true, AA. And you're right about the "Anywhere near NC" part, too.

My brother-in-law went to JMU, also; a '76 or '77 grad, I believe.

Anonymous said...
Jun 27, 2007, 4:10:00 PM  

I really do like it when ESPN gloms on to misery and exploits tragedy.

Get out your fuckin hankies.

Scumbags.

E Buzz said...
Jun 27, 2007, 4:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment