Jeff Van Gundy Takes On Flopping, Schools Mark Jackson

Tuesday, May 29, 2007



I don't know about you but this whole flopping thing is beyond ridiculous to me at this point. I'm against the practice as much as the next person, but is there really anything you can do about it? The Manu Ginobilis of the world are experts at the practice, and at real speed they look like "real" fouls.

One of Jeff Van Gundy's pet peeves is the flop, and coming from a defensive minded coach that's saying something. JVG seems to have taken his new found airtime to champion the movement against the act, something Mark Jackson shouldn't have gotten in the way of....

"He didn't throw him down. Robert Horry, EVERY TIME he comes up to set a screen he flops."- JVG
"By raising his arm, Boozer created reasonable doubt and sent Robert Horry to the line."- MJ
"Are we in a court of law? Reasonable doubt!?!?!?"- JVG

Mark Jackson's nonsense spewed over into Game 4 as well. After Ginobili acted his way to his 40th free throw of the night MJ was championing the Argentinian....


"Manu Ginobili is the type of guy that you love to have on your team at the playground 'cause it's point game you put the ball in his hands he's either going to score or get fouled."- MJ

Umm, it's my understanding that in playground/street basketball that there are no fouls. And if there are fouls do you ever go to the line??? P.S.- The guy is shooting 40% from the field in the playoffs. If it's point game I think I'm going inside to this guy. But that's just me (and Gregg Popovich, and every other sane individual).

I'm keeping my eye on this debate for the rest of the playoffs, but Mark Jackson is starting to look over-whelmed in these spots. I thought anyone was better than Hubie Brown, but I'm beginning to think I'd take him over Jackson. I'm just glad Van Gundy is there to balance out the "suck".

4 Comments:

Flopping's gonna be the downfall (as if) of the NBA. Just you wait.

That shit nearly brought down three top-flight soccer leagues in Europe, and it's STILL ruining Serie A.

Bet me David Stern institutes a T for flopping (similar to the yellow given for diving in soccer) if this catches on.

Anonymous said...
May 29, 2007, 12:16:00 PM  

IMO, Mark Jackson is slowly, but surely, reaching Joe Morgan status as far as color commentary goes.

Anonymous said...
May 29, 2007, 3:27:00 PM  

I thought the same thing about his "playground" comment last night. But I would take Manu on my playground team just because the other team always finds one person they foul harder than anyone else, and that would definitely be Manu.

You can't give T's for flopping...what is qualifies as a flop? You can't use the player's history because ref's aren't supposed to think about apst situations during a game. You can't use a review system. I think it's fine now where sometimes it's called and sometimes it isn't.

GMoney said...
May 29, 2007, 4:05:00 PM  

JVG p-wns. I think that's what the kids say.

Bstone said...
May 29, 2007, 5:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment